new intercooler want some opinions

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
mrunknown

new intercooler want some opinions

Post by mrunknown » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:27 am

hi i just aquired this intercooler and want some opinions how you guys think it might work wether its a good option or a bad one here are some specs it has 3" inlet and outlet its 41/2" deep and 10" accross its 11 row and its a water to air intercooler came out of 2012 super duty power stroke 6.7!!!! i personally like it because of the small size just wondering if i will get major pressure drop from it ??? let me know what you guys think

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Re: new intercooler want some opinions

Post by Ray » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 am

I'm a fan of water to air intercoolers, but remember you are going to need the plumbing for the water lines, a water reservoir (preferably no where near the turbo), a pump, and a substantial heat exchanger to keep the water cool.

In general, the complexity and cost makes most people shy away from these. I put one on my supercharged SVT focus and was thrilled with it once i worked out some kinks. The ford lightning / cobra (03/04) pump for their supercharger setup is about 100 bucks and i would recommend it. Same goes for the heat exchanger used by each.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

AMXSC
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AMXSC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:51 am

It's a good intercooler up to around the 400hp range, however if your going to up the power of the Scorpion 6.7L Ford Powerstroke engine it's the first part in the trash bin.

Good thing a 400hp+ engine in a XR4ti is more then enough to get you into trouble. :headbang

Also just so you know the boost pressure on the Scorpion 6.7L Ford Powerstroke engine is 21psi and the ECM in the truck is setup to back off the air pressure as the temperatures increase so I don't really know if you will be able to push out that much power though the intercooler constantly without heating it up too much. So like Ray, I would also recommend a substantial heat exchange and the bosch/ford lightning pump to move the coolant around.
1988 Merkur Xr4ti
1985 SVO Mustang
1985.5 SVO Mustang

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 am

Air to water intercoolers...where to begin. Aside from the cost and complexity factor there is another major factor...and that is weight...you need a water supply of several gallons to avoid heat soak....after the water goes through the intercooler its hot....it then has to pass through a heat exchanger and back to the resevoir...one pass through the exchanger wont remove all the heat so it takes several passes to bring the water back down to ambient, this means recovery times of 15 seconds or so and if the water supply is small then you get heat soak quickly...especially in an autocross situation. For the drag strip water to air is great....especially because with ice water you can lower the temp to below ambient. For a street or autocross car the only time I would use one is in a car with a mid engine setup where placing the intercooler up front would require too much piping and too much lag. It seems it would be better to use a convential air to air front mount(and take up less space, weight and complexity) and add additional cooling capability through spraying it with CO2 to bring temps down below ambient, without the downsides of an air to water setp. That being said the bggest advantage to to an air to water setup in a XR is you can install an efficient one without taking up the frontal air flow space a decent air to air will take which will allow you to keep AC where you might otherwise have to ditch it.
P.S. That one is setup nicely to work with a non rotated intake though.
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I vote sell it and buy an NPR intercooler from MerkurDepot.

lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lucky87 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/water-meth- ... build.html
this is a really good thread on AWIC. Subbie forum, but if you read the whole thread it is very thorough. As said earlier, the added complexity and weight fo an awic, even a small one, isn't reaaaaaaally worth it for a street car, but since you already have the core, I think it is a cool idea. I want to do this myself, But i intend on spending money on Jvabs full suspension setup :) :) :) :headbang the awic will come at a later date. Also, how much did the core cost and where did you get it?

merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

1. It will work great if installed with good water cooling.
2. Why are you worried about pressure drop? You should be worried about traction and speeding tickets. If you cool the air, the pressure will drop and If you cool the air you can compress more air into the head and make more power.

I put in a bigger intercooler, the pressure went down and the power went way up. Have fun!
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?

mrunknown

Post by mrunknown » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 am

I got the cooler for free i work at a ford dealership we just replaced a bad turbo on a 6.7 so the tech replaced the cooler too. I have to flush it out to make sure there is no fillings from the turbo...... thx for the tip on the heat exhanger and pump as i can get those at cost... is the lightning heat exhanger pretty big ???? i dont get to see those very often as i live in canada not 2 many around haha

C-Rock
Level 2
Level 2

Post by C-Rock » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:26 pm

To much work to install it for the return, heat soak water tank and if it leaks good for the strip bad idea and to complex over a Air to Air. There are so many options from Mike at Merkur Depot with his plug and play set up. Stop trying to re invent the wheel go with what is proven.

C-Rock