heater fan non-operational

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
buzz13
Level 2
Level 2

heater fan non-operational

Post by buzz13 »

I was driving the other day and it just stopped. It made no noises before quitting. None of the speeds work. I see posts where only the high speed remains but none of mine work. Checked fuse and it is ok. Are there any other things to check before going to the trouble of pulling the swithch out?
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: heater fan non-operational

Post by John Brennan »

Check the wiring behind the battery, which is vulnerable to corrosion, and check your grounds. Mone recently started working again after I did some work on the EGR tube and I found I had had a bad connection.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Check the connection on the fan itself.... Mine had "corroded" to the point that it wouldn't either.... Had to clean and use dilectric grease on it....
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
buzz13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by buzz13 »

fixed; it was heavy corrosion on the connector; replaced connector but had to splice in some more wire since there is no slack on that single wire
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Knew it 8)
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
Amfo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Amfo »

Hi there-

Got the exact same problem in my car. I have power to the switch. Pulled the little cowl off unther hood over firewall, checked the connections and those are good. Also pulled the battery out to check there as suggested, but what am i looking for behind the battery connection wise?

The switch turns on the AC condenser fan and I put a test light to the connector under the cowl where it plugs in. All three speeds seem to be working?
1969 Impala SS 427 Small block (Dart motor)
1987 XR4ti 5 speed
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Most likely the thermal overheat contacts in the blower motor itself are carboned up. Do a search here for "hairdryer" in a post by Mike McCreight re blower motor issues. Blower motor has to come out to repair/fix this. Also, SvoSierra who posts here repairs blower motors.

YMMV ;-)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Sometimes a good whack will sort them out. Remove the resistor pack, do a "hammer/n/chisel" thing on the motor housing with a long punch or screwdriver. If a motor brush is stuck, that will sometimes free it.
If memory serves, and it sometimes doesn't, the ground is the same as for the wiper motor. If they both quit, it's likely that ground point.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!