Steering rack removal: clamp plate bolt

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Steering rack removal: clamp plate bolt

Post by lucky87 »

So I was taking out my steering rack and I came into a few hitches, first off, some idiot had over torqued the lug nuts :withstupid and it took me a little bit longer than expected to take off the wheels. That was fun! everything was going well until i reached the clamp plate. I can't even get a normal wrench in there, much less a ratchet. The engine mount gets in way of the ratchet, and all the hard lines get in the way of the wrench I was trying this for maybe an hour in the and still no luck. Then, we had a sudden cloudburst that completely soaked everything. I am working outside and I had to rush to cover everything because my tools are still in cardboard boxes :evil: lost my daylight so I will have to do it again tomorrow, I have my other rack assembled and ready to go in, i just need to get the old one out!

So do you guys have any tricks for getting the clamp plate bolt? the socket kind of fits but the ratchet itself wont fit over the socket all my extensions and swivels can't even come close to getting in there.
anyway, help would be nice if you guys would be so kind to oblige.

Side note, i am driving across canada again which is why I decided to change the tie rods and swap the rack while I was at it due to the obvious contamination( white milky fluid in the rack etc etc.)
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Steering rack removal: clamp plate bolt

Post by thebronze »

Never taken one out before... Sorry no help here

Where You driving to??
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I removed the rack from the car to get the clamp plate bolt off. Near 100% chance those lines are going to be seized into the rack anyway. Much easier to remove the lines on the pump and cooler side.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22792
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

X2 (^^).

YMMV ;-)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lucky87 »

Thanks for the help HEAT, the thread was very informative. and Bronze, I will be moving to richmond. Probably going to settle into burnaby once I get a proper job sorted out. You Live in van right? I'm an Islander originally though.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I've done this a couple of times, and although it isn't fun, it's never been particularly difficult-- high-pressure wash the rack, and hit it with a good penetrant. It seems I've just used a longish extension with a 3/8th's drive and never had much of a problem-- being able to see the thing clearly always helps, hence the cleaning/penetrant advice. As the others have said, since you're pulling the rack anyway, might as well make as much space as possible.

Let us know how it goes.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

lucky87 wrote:Thanks for the help HEAT, the thread was very informative. and Bronze, I will be moving to richmond. Probably going to settle into burnaby once I get a proper job sorted out. You Live in van right? I'm an Islander originally though.

I live in Surrey/Delta... Have to hook up.... that'll make 3 out here... :headbang
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne