Coil over question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Coil over question

Post by In XS 7 »

Hello guys, if I want upgrade some Koni yellows to be a coil over strut, is it to hard to do it yourself using the kit from mc2racing? or it is a better idea to don't mess with them and let the guys at mc2racing do the job? I just bought a couple of used koni yellows and I am planning on make them coil overs, thanks a lot. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Coil over question

Post by Grayson »

It all boils down to your capabilities. The conversion involves cutting off the spring perches from the Konis. I use a lathe to do this, so everything looks really clean when I'm finished. Before I had a lathe I used a cutoff wheel and manually removed the perches. They ended up looking like crap but I got the job done...and they functioned. Once the perches are removed you need to figure out a way to get a nice flat surface for your threaded sleeves to sit on. When I do the conversion I machine a collar that sits on the machined weld bead and provides a nice, flat surface for the sleeve. Back in the day when I was a kid I filled the remaining uncut Koni spring perch with epoxy to get a flat surface. So, you just have to decide if you're able to do the work, and what you want the final result to look like.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

I don't have to much of a choice now, because the previous owner did cut the Konis, in fact they been used as coil overs in an 89 Merkur XR4Ti. Here is a pic.

So, in this case the critical part have been done I guess, so can I just buy the kit and put it together? or it involves some other mods besides cutting the springs perches?
Thanks a lot. :cheers
Miguel.
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

There are a few options out there..... just a quick search found me this....

http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... I=37/CA=23
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Those struts are ready for a coilover conversion kit with basically zero thought. The only thing you need to consider at this point is the interface between the little perches you see there and the threaded sleeve. As long as they engage well you're good to go. If the threaded sleeves are a little larger than your little perches you have, then you'll want a spacer to help out.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Ok, That sounds good. Thanks to both of you. Hey Grayson, I have a couple of questions, Do you sale that kind of spacers? and if you do, how much they cost? also, The nuts from the stock struts can be use on the Konis? if not, do you guys have some of them for sale? I can't check that myself because I just bought the struts and they don't arrive here yet, I just want to think ahead and try to get everything I will need, and have them coming on the mail so I can get the car on the road as soon as possible. Thanks again. :cheers
Miguel.
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

I don't sell collars that adapt weld beads or welded perches to threaded sleeves. I like to have the dampers in my hands if I'm making those since I like a very good fit.

The nuts from the stock dampers will not fit the Konis...but your Konis should have the nuts at the top when they arrive. If they don't, just source new nuts from a decent hardware store.