Studder at 10psi...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Jokerman
Level 1
Level 1

Studder at 10psi...

Post by Jokerman »

For some reason today my car decided to throw me another trick. For some reason if i get on it abit (1/2 throttle or more) at 10psi (ruffly since it is the stock boost guage) it will studder very quickly and then after maybe .5 seconds or so it will go right on up to 15psi. I am not seeing any vacumlines off and i run 93 octane all the time so i am not thinking that its a knock sensor. Any ideas? It is a 5spd car and has been boosting fine since i bought it. 8)
I only use the brakes so i can accelerate all over again.
d3m0n1c50ld13r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d3m0n1c50ld13r »

oddly enough i have the same problem, im thinking either my fuel filter is clogged, or the fuel pump cant keep up, once in a while i also get a bit of ping there
Jokerman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jokerman »

Fuel filter i know should be good since it has maybe 500miles on it and as for the pumps once it does the little blip studder it pulls fine at 15psi. Is this maybe a wastegate issue? I found a vacum issue yesterday (the lines going to the control solonoid that i had bypassed. One had split a bit so i cut it and respliced) but not change. The studder also seems to be somewhat intermittant as it will most of the time hit in 2nd, never in 1st, 50/50 in 3rd, sometimes 4th and occasionally 5th. Granted its a bit harder to test in 4th and 5th due to legal constraints (ie a 70mph limit on the highways). 8)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Jokerman wrote:Granted its a bit harder to test in 4th and 5th due to legal constraints (ie a 70mph limit on the highways). 8)
Oh yes. We all pay attention to that, don't we?
Jokerman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jokerman »

1 ticket in the merk is enough. Being under 25 and male means it ain't cheap no matter what and i am planning on buying a sport bike next summer so i must behave. 8)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Jokerman wrote:1 ticket in the merk is enough. Being under 25 and male means it ain't cheap no matter what and i am planning on buying a sport bike next summer so i must behave. 8)
I'm only 19, so I know what you're talking about there. I haven't gotten a ticket yet, and I want to keep it that way, so a Valentine 1 radar detector is in my near future.
d3m0n1c50ld13r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d3m0n1c50ld13r »

Jokerman wrote:Fuel filter i know should be good since it has maybe 500miles on it and as for the pumps once it does the little blip studder it pulls fine at 15psi. Is this maybe a wastegate issue? I found a vacum issue yesterday (the lines going to the control solonoid that i had bypassed. One had split a bit so i cut it and respliced) but not change. The studder also seems to be somewhat intermittant as it will most of the time hit in 2nd, never in 1st, 50/50 in 3rd, sometimes 4th and occasionally 5th. Granted its a bit harder to test in 4th and 5th due to legal constraints (ie a 70mph limit on the highways). 8)
Honestly, mine does it worst in 2nd too, i've never had it happen in first...

im kinda stumped, i think my headgasket might have a slight leak,
but i would figure if that showed up as a problem, it'd be consistant, not just at WOT between 3K and 4K rpm... for you the problem may be your TPS?
SleeperX

Post by SleeperX »

Fellows,
I think that you can relax about the turbo ‘stutter’ you are experiencing... i do not believe that anything is broken. My XR does this as well although i do plan to eliminate it through modifications. I wondered about it when i first bought my car then heard that other stock or mildly modified XR’s experienced the same flutter phenomenon... I spoke with some of my professional turbo tech friends and they think that this is a stall or surge condition that will be normal for the system as it is designed on a stock or nearly stock XR. The compromise to have some boosted HP combined with drivability means that certain conditions (rpm vs. boost vs. load) will result in a momentary stall or surge or flutter at times. The gentleman at www.merkurencyclopedia.com under his “Turbochargerâ€
Quasi Mofo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Quasi Mofo »

It is generally noticed if you have eliminated your cat or installed a bigger exhaust also. My xr's didn't do it until I installed the larger exhausts. ironically when I put the 3" CAI on the RWB car it calmed it down quite a bit.
John Brown
"Just like a naturally aspirated engine, you suck."-Mike Guido 2006

PayPal ID
Paschek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paschek »

Quasi Mofo wrote:It is generally noticed if you have eliminated your cat or installed a bigger exhaust also. My xr's didn't do it until I installed the larger exhausts. ironically when I put the 3" CAI on the RWB car it calmed it down quite a bit.
I agree with this, I have a bit of a studder at 4k, but it got alot better after I cleaned the filter in my CAI set up.

-Stef Paschek
'85 XR - subaru bumper, custom skirts, rs500/stock wing, ported and polished, big valves, 3" exhaust to dual, CAI, mod-mack intercooler, 120deg intake, t5.
edge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by edge »

I have bascially the same problem sort of dies out at a little over 10 psi but let off and then back on it usually gets going. Mine didn't start until after I pulled the cat, but at the same time I added the cone filter large vam and PE eec. I think with mine I also need to change the wires haven't done that yet since it seems to be getting worse right now. Plus the guy I bought it from put wire looms around the wires and one of them is partially melted now hanging down from being melted (part of the loom).
edge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by edge »

Also on that above list I replaced the wastegate the old wasn't hooked up and was bad.
edge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by edge »

double post
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

Hmmm. I've owned 4 XRs (3 5-speeds and 1 auto) and never noticed this "flutter" or "turbo stalling." My current one -- fresh motor, 3" downpipe into a high-flow (new) cat and Borla duals, cone filter mounted remotely, etc., etc. -- runs right to redline without any hesitation or flutter (18 lbs of boost, too). You say you changed the EEC... look for a problem there. Or put reinstall the original computer and see if that solves your problem. You also say you haven't changed the plug wires, which should've been the first thing you did, in addition to all fresh ignition components (plugs, dist. cap, rotor, plus resetting the timing). I'd try these simple things first before thinking you've got a more serious problem. Hope this helps.
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Are you guys running stock ignitions?