My XR is having problems starting in cold.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

My XR is having problems starting in cold.

Post by BanditKoval »

this has been a problem for a while threw out the winter... the car will turn over but will barley fire... then once a couple tries it will start firing more till its able to idle at a misfire then its runs perfectly fine.. it happens if the car sits over night.. usually a couple hours dont do this... it sucks because soon im starting a job that has 12 hour shifts and i dont need it crapping out on me at work.. iv checked ignition, plugs, spark, etc all fine.. iv check fuel pressure and lines, all fine... and etc... i mean i didnt get a chance to completely check everything but still any ideas because im lost.
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
  • -2.3l Turbo (new head, ranger cam, m11 turbo)
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
    -3" inch exhaust no cat w/ resonator
1995 Ford Mustang GT (Green):
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
    -3.73 gearing, 4 speed auto
    -2.5" true dual exhaust no cats
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My XR is having problems starting in cold.

Post by merk23literturbo »

Does it get poor gas mileage? Check the ECT, that's the most likely culprit. When it goes bad, it assumes that the temperature is -40 degrees. Testing the ECT is pretty easy with a cheapo ohm meter.
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I second what Don said, pull the codes and you might find an ECT out of range.

*ADVERTISEMENT*
If you need a code reader with a nice digital display instead of counting the blinking lights check www.merkurdepot.com -> 2.3 Ford Engine Parts & Tools
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanditKoval »

that had already been replaced with the proper part.. my turbo is getting warn and oil in getting into to it but i dont believe that it would be causing it to not start
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
WVENGR

Post by WVENGR »

Might want to do a compression check on it. My brother's car was doing this and it turned out to be a head gasket starting to go bad, it would seep coolant in over night and the cylinder wouldn't fire until it cleared out. Weird thing was it must not have leaked when warm because he was only putting coolant in every few thousand miles, but he checked the compression and it was down on one cylinder, and when he let it sit and checked it was getting a puddle of coolant on top of the piston. Compression check would be a quick and easy way to find out if there was a problem with the head gasket.

But with what the guys said earlier, just because its a new part doesn't mean it works. Sometimes things are dead on arrival. Might still want to pull the codes.
88 XR4Ti - Mono White.
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanditKoval »

my upper end was replaced and its more like this.. i 1st start the car.. it wants to run.. then dies after 2 seconds and wont fire... till what i mention up there.. then slowly begins to fire after several tries and i mean several trying to crank over... once i was trying to start it for 20 min.. till the battery died.. its very annoying
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

Last night we took off the air filter and looked down inside where the vam is and seen lots of oil. Today you told me there is more oil in there now.
I think it's is safe to say your Turbo leaks oil like crazy. Probably shoving the oil in to the Throttle Body when it is cold & burning off when the turbo is hot.
Thus the reason for the car running like crap, I am assuming. Can anyone confirm this assumption? Cause then it looks like we need to rebuild the turbo.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

The breather off the back of the valve cover basically has a suction tube line on it attached at the front of the turbo. This sucks hot misty oil vapors in at the front of the turbo and its not uncommon to see the hose between the air meter an the turbo have a bunch of oil in it and does not necessarily mean the turbo needs rebuilt. You can plug the fitting at the front of the turbo and run the valve cover breather to a catch can instead and see if suddenly there is no oil collecting in there.

The factory intercooler mounted low in the front bumper of my friends Saab has a drain bolt to drain the oil that collects in the bottom of the intercooler over time. Kind of crazy...
Larry Velk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larry Velk »

It might be flooding due to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) leaking or an injector leak. If you pull the vacuum line off the FPR there should be NO fuel coming out.
Your car has no cat, so if it was flooded you'd get black smoke and the smell of fuel when it does start. Also listen for your fuel pump to make sure it is running when the key is first turned to "run". A leaking injector is harder to detect, but the odds are only one would fail and this probably wouldn't cause a no-start (it would run very rough when it did start).
Hard to see wet plugs if the fuel leak is on shut down due to a FPR failure, but it would always run rich, so that would cause some problems like poor running at all times.
BTW, you can change a FPR without taking half the car apart, but you do need some fancy Allen wrenches.
'86 928, black, 5sp, red full leather, 55k
(daily driver!)
'91 FZR 1000
'64 XKE FHC, in a thousand pieces
2003 BMW Ci (just like an XR!)
'89 XR, red family car
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanditKoval »

Larry Velk wrote:It might be flooding due to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) leaking or an injector leak. If you pull the vacuum line off the FPR there should be NO fuel coming out.
Your car has no cat, so if it was flooded you'd get black smoke and the smell of fuel when it does start. Also listen for your fuel pump to make sure it is running when the key is first turned to "run". A leaking injector is harder to detect, but the odds are only one would fail and this probably wouldn't cause a no-start (it would run very rough when it did start).
Hard to see wet plugs if the fuel leak is on shut down due to a FPR failure, but it would always run rich, so that would cause some problems like poor running at all times.
BTW, you can change a FPR without taking half the car apart, but you do need some fancy Allen wrenches.
well theres some weird smell everytime i start my car but i wouldnt say black smoke.. more or less tons of bluish white smoke.
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

You still need to test the ECT, just saying it's new doesn't mean a thing. It could be bad from the factory or it can be broken during installation. After testing you will know where to look because you have narrowed down the possibilities. Just my .02.
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

Jim at Merkur Midwest installed the replacement and check it was good. We are strongly guess it's the turbo since there is oil down in the hoses to & from the vam. Plus from a cold start it poof out blueish white smoke. Jeff at Merkur Midwest replaced/rebuilt the upper end. They also examined the bottom end & pistons look good too. Also the clue we have that it may be the turbo is the fact that there is a lot of oil coating everything around the turbo. My son is saving up to get it rebuilt.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanditKoval »

dad i dont believe a car wouldnt start from the turbo being warn down... the car ran before when the lifter dropped and then us not knowing that the lifter was dropped replaced like everything possible.. and then it wouldnt start at all before we took it in to get looked at... its some part we replaced thats wrong.. its a matter of going back over it.. cause it wasnt even that cold it was like 40 and it still wouldnt start properly..
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
BanditKoval
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanditKoval »

Larry Velk wrote:It might be flooding due to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) leaking or an injector leak. If you pull the vacuum line off the FPR there should be NO fuel coming out.
it just dawned on me.. we replaced this.. but if it was an improper part could it be causing this problem.
1989 Merkur XR4Ti (Red):
    -157k miles
    -C3 Auto
  • -5.0l 302ci V8
    -154k miles
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

So, you still need to check the fuel pressure.