Cup holders

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cup holders

Post by DAReese »

Skibob6 wrote:My merkurs previous owner installed a sliding arm rest onto the center compartment that has cup holders that pop out above the e-brake handle. Ill take a picture when i get home. It doesn't interfere with anything while you're driving unless it a huge cup.
That was from Rapido if it is the one I think it is. Is it just screwed through the cassette console?
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Scalawagk9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scalawagk9 »

DAReese wrote:
Skibob6 wrote:My merkurs previous owner installed a sliding arm rest onto the center compartment that has cup holders that pop out above the e-brake handle. Ill take a picture when i get home. It doesn't interfere with anything while you're driving unless it a huge cup.
That was from Rapido if it is the one I think it is. Is it just screwed through the cassette console?
I have one of those that I bought used without instructions. I used Velcro tape to attach it to the armrest pad. It holds two cups/cans but you have to remove them to utilize the e-brake.
jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti »

This is yet another one of my 50% completed projects and so far it has made its way to 3 different merkurs and its still not finished off. I guess that either means its good enough or I'm just lazy .... I'll let you decide.

It started as a piece of abs plastic from the car stereo place where I worked 12+ years ago. I shaped it from a poster board pattern, cut two holes based on fitting a McDonalds soft drink size cup then heated and bent to the correct angle. Basically remove the stock cassette holder under the armrest and fabricate a plate to go in its place. I had intended to add generic cupholders underneath but just never got around to it.

Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

OK, I've took some measurements & pics and sent then to Mike.

The issue we have is the step in the transmission tunnel. It's about 6" from the edge of the console and then 11" to the floor.

He doesn't have anything to go all the way to the floor but does have one that's set up for the 6" length.

His comments

:The problem may be how well something will stay on that step. I’ve seen some where it does OK and others not. What will happen if the step isn’t flat/level or large enough is that the bottom of the holder may slip from that area and since there’s then nothing under it, whatever’s in it will fall from there. I can’t really judge from the pictures whether there’s enough to keep something there or not."

He did say that the E39 5 series holder matches the 6" length so I've ordered one up this morning.

Don't know if it matters but my car is a '87 (wide tunnel) I don't know if the earlier cars have a different shape tunnel.
usmcgunner27
Level 3
Level 3

Post by usmcgunner27 »

I have a cup holder and coin holder, that can be installed where the amp below the radio is.
red 88 XR WORKED, inside and out. BEFORE: 225 HP 304 Lb/Ft Torque; After is to come
1989 Scorpio, Eurofied.....Eurospec V-6 in her future???
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

OK, my Ultimate Cup Holder arrived and as the owner warned about the step in the trans tunnel, it just wasn't big enough. Bottles and cans would slide out the bottom. So I made up a bottom for it in about 15 minutes using some scrap aluminum.

Worked out pretty well.

Last edited by GPz11 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

usmcgunner27 wrote:I have a cup holder and coin holder, that can be installed where the amp below the radio is.
That one works in Scorpio only due to the fact that Scorpio has 2 standard DIN radio holes. The hole below the XR radio is short vertically and wider across the car.

That ultimate cup holder looks cool what was the cost? I like the idea of the Mondeo holders too, reminds of the ones in my dad Saab 9-5 wagon.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

It was $30 shipped