Eliminating brake booster, AKA non-power brake conversion

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Eliminating brake booster, AKA non-power brake conversion

Post by drdanteiii »

Any tips or tricks, or ideas about what parts to use is I'm eliminating the vacuum booster on my 89 XR.

There is no room for the booster with the Modular V8, so I have to run manual brakes.

Who has done this?

Thanks
Hacking an XR4ti in hopes of Lemons glory...
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Eliminating brake booster, AKA non-power brake conversio

Post by merk23literturbo »

I don't know if this will work for you but my buddy put a remote kit on his Datsun with a small block and twin turbos. It's a very clean setup. Here's some pics.

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/merk23 ... t=3&page=1
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

In Merkur Tech's Picture Pages, sort by Brakes, and check out David Godfrey's dual master cylinder mod. No booster; not sure if it'll give you the clearance you need, but it might get you headed in that direction:

www.merkurtech.com
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

John Brennan wrote:In Merkur Tech's Picture Pages, sort by Brakes, and check out David Godfrey's dual master cylinder mod. No booster; not sure if it'll give you the clearance you need, but it might get you headed in that direction:

http://www.merkurtech.com
That's a nice installation. something like that should work for my application. I think I'll have to get the motor mounted first to see what kind of clearance I actually have.

Thanks!
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

merk23literturbo wrote:I don't know if this will work for you but my buddy put a remote kit on his Datsun with a small block and twin turbos. It's a very clean setup. Here's some pics.

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/merk23 ... t=3&page=1
We might have to go remote resivoir like that, but hte main issue is geting rid of the large vacuum booster canister.

I'm also looking a scorpio booster, which appears to be hydroboost.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

the scorpio master is not hydroboost (hydraulic, driven from the power steering pump) but rather electric. this is how i plan to go with mine, not because of room but because i dont have vacuum when running antilag.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I want to say that someone(s) has done an actual hydroboost swap, but like you, I *may* be confusing that with the Scorpio electric booster swap. :dunno Might be worth searching around if indeed you want to go hydroboost.
Brad
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

xrattiracer wrote:the scorpio master is not hydroboost (hydraulic, driven from the power steering pump) but rather electric..

oh dear god. I can definitively say that I want nothing to so with an electronic brake booster. hahaha.

thanks for the info.
drdanteiii
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drdanteiii »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I want to say that someone(s) has done an actual hydroboost swap, but like you, I *may* be confusing that with the Scorpio electric booster swap. :dunno Might be worth searching around if indeed you want to go hydroboost.

I'm somewhat familiar with hydroboost from my off-roading experience. My concern with that would be routing of the hydraulic lines in the cramped engine bay, and the additional heat into the power steering system. However, I am running a gigantic 4-row power steering cooler, so combined with the larger fluid capacity that may not be an issue.
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

drdanteiii wrote:
xrattiracer wrote:the scorpio master is not hydroboost (hydraulic, driven from the power steering pump) but rather electric..

oh dear god. I can definitively say that I want nothing to so with an electronic brake booster. hahaha.

thanks for the info.

Oh well, thtas a shame as the Scorpio booster (eletric motor runs the hydraulic pump which charges the pressure accumulator is very simple, normal ABS stuff, just skip the poncy ABS crap) it works brilliantly..

I haven't asked, and you haven't bothered to say WHY you want to go dual masters.. But the EASIEST thing is to copy what Ford themselves did:
Reinforcing plate---this one is 3/16" cause the firewall is flexier than pooo:

Then

which consists of this:

Here you can see the added front and that wraps around the side, made from090 or 1/8' steel...the one on the left is the Actual Ford 1990 spec 909 part that we used as a sample..

Then I made some aluminum spacers to keet the pedals spaced and make things more stable and less floppy:

Last thing was some push rod extensions to get the pedal rest position adjustable so i can place the pedal where I want.

Then of course you have to size the masters to whatever calipers you found in the junk yard, hope for your sake its not the horrible "PBR" or whatever the gross things are..

So, why?
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Scorpio elec unit installed in an XR:

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:Image
Temporary thread hi-jack.... Who's Duratec swap is this? I don't think I've seen pics of it before.
Brad
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
merkurdriver wrote:Image
Temporary thread hi-jack.... Who's Duratec swap is this? I don't think I've seen pics of it before.
My dear friend Timbo aka Tim Spencer...
Which reminds me i gotta make a couple flywheels for 2 OTHER loons doing the same thing---shiiiit!
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Brad, tim just recently posted a build thread. Check it out.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

I am currently looking at playing with my mill a little more and making an aluminum block to get rid of the servo block that sticks out and has the wide 7 pin connector on the side. That will give more clearance and "clean it up" for those not running ABS. You may also be able to remote mount the reservoir on this also. Seems very easy to do actually. That will really increase the clearance. These ABS setups have been used on many cars and still work exceptionally well. Jags, Mercedes, Cadillac, and many other big cars use this exact setup and the brake feel has been fantastic.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.