XR rocker replace

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

XR rocker replace

Post by my8950 »

Has anyone done this? Where did you get the parts from? Any information on it, or pictures? both....
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: XR rocker replace

Post by merkurdriver »

I have new metal rockers on hand for $59 ea + ship
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote:I have new metal rockers on hand for $59 ea + ship
Hencho in Chine?
have any photos? I'm curious how much gets replaced, and about doing the job...
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Give call 847-688-1234 if you want hands on info of the rocker repair / replacement task. Done a few an it's not for those willing to go the full distance
Jeff
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

blugg wrote:Give call 847-688-1234 if you want hands on info of the rocker repair / replacement task. Done a few an

it's not for those willing to go the full distance

Wait Jeff you said "NOT for those willing to go the full distance"

So you mean its "for those who aren't willing to go the full distance? :beats head
Or Its "for for those who are willing to go the half distance?" :banghead

Are you corn-fused-ded? :oops:

I think you mean to say the (how many layer?) multi-layer nature of the sill is a bitch, so in for a penny in for a pound, iz zat it, mang? :dunno
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Stay away from the light. The light to stay away from

EDIT: not for those willing to see the task to the end.
Jeff
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

^ That still makes no sense. **not for those not willing to go the distance** need 2 nots in there I think.

What makes it so hard, cut the old one off, weld in the new one? Mine needs to get done too.

I know there is a metal "fold" or something in there but what does it change? Any pics?
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

Just finished this a few months ago, definitely not a quick job. The problem is the rot usually goes so much further than just the outer rocker. Ill see if I can get into my photobucket later and upload some pics.
My car is just like my girlfriend...
loud and temperamental.

Ben
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

xr89 wrote:Just finished this a few months ago, definitely not a quick job. The problem is the rot usually goes so much further than just the outer rocker. Ill see if I can get into my photobucket later and upload some pics.
Right, seems like it's really the floor.
I would appreciate if you can provide photos.
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

So a lot of my pics are a little more scattered than I thought, found a few though
This is the passengers floor pan. This is how it was when I took up the carpet and removed some of the tar-like stuff on The pan (no cutting).

underneath after a little cutting of the pan (passengers side)

Top of passengers side after some cutting.

drivers side, not as bad

I thought the car was relatively rust free (pinch weld's a side) until i started removing things. Problem is, living in new england, there is a lot of salt on the roads and when the rockers and pinch weld go, the tires spray all the water (salt) into the sound deadening under the carpet. Once that stuff gets wet (and mine was soaked) it never dries, slowly eroding the floor from the top where you cant see it. The same can go for an area without salt, all that water sitting on the pan for a prolonged period of time, it will rot.
loud and temperamental.

Ben
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

If you decide to do it, this is the line I took while cutting out. You need to pick a line where you will be able to hide your welds. Cutting in the middle of a smooth section would be pretty impossible to do so, so I cut along one of the creases in the rear quarter, and along the least conspicuous line i could think on the sill
the inner rocker. This thing is kind of a pain to reinstall after removing, and usualluly is rotted underneath where it attaches to the outer rocker
some of the rot on the inner, also shows the line I took cutting the front out. The rocker attaches behind the front fender (one large piece), but I opted to cut before it to avoid removing it as I had no rust to worry about behind there.

outer rocker removed.
loud and temperamental.

Ben
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

So my scope of work included cutting a zillion spot welds (blare makes the best spot weld cutter I found with replaceable blades... very useful), wire wheeling everything that had rust on it, fabbing new sheet metal for the spots that had rotted away and painting everything else with por 15, some more cutting, more fabbing, more welding, more panting and more welding, sealing everything with good paint and coating the inside of the rocker with panel coating (a coating that never fully dries, and seals the panel, keeping it from rusting), throwing out the old sound dampening and putting in dynamat, and a lot of body work to hide everything.
Now im not trying to discourage anyone from attempting this, but you should know what you could be in for, rather than tearing it all apart and going "aww s***, thats a lot of work". Also you dont have to go ape crazy like I did, cutting half the car out, you might be able to get away with P.O.R. 15-ing most of your floor and just replacing the outer, but some of the main structural components in the rocker support were rotted for me, and the pass floor was gonzo, so I had to. Plus "do it right, or do it twice", figured I might as well get it all, and you get a little piece of mind knowing your car is completely rot free!
loud and temperamental.

Ben
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

Floor pan after rot removed, before shaping new metal to weld in

Very inner piece of the pinch weld. The floor attaches behind it, and the rocker attaches at the bottom. Some minor flash rusting for letting the bare metal sit too long.

the inner rocker removed, and what was behind it (after some cutting)
loud and temperamental.

Ben
xr89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr89 »

Here's what the new rocker looks like. Typically sourced from europe, so there are no bump outs to attach your cladding, you have to cut the old mounts out and reuse them on the new cladding.
loud and temperamental.

Ben