Head gasket replacement

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
otis147
Level 2
Level 2

Head gasket replacement

Post by otis147 »

Blew my head gasket today, lots of white smoke from exhaust, coolant reservoir empty. Going to pull the head in the coming month. When I'm in there, anything I should look for? What head gasket should I replace with? Should I go with the standard ARP head stud kit, or the undercut? Anything else I should do when I have the head off? Motor is a "fresh" rebuild from the guy I bought it from 3 years ago. Maybe 2000 miles on it, but who knows if he torqued everything right or used good parts. Want to do it right, not cheap.

Thanks,
Cody
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Head gasket replacement

Post by In XS 7 »

I hear that the felpro 8993 is a great option, just make sure you get the head resurfaced (the right way is to get both the head AND block resurfaced, but if for any reason you can't get the block to the machine shop, at least get the head), the head bolts, if they are the original 12 point bolts, they are reusable and they hold on just fine, make sure you torque them in the correct order and at the correct torque and then after some miles( I can't remember how many) you will have to torque the head bolts again.
:cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Felpro 8993 is the gasket of choice for reasonable boost levels. If you plan to run really high boost go with the Felpro 1035.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

standard ARP studs are fine (according to my machinist who builds NASCAR engines), undercut he claims are not necessary (although they are only about$10 extra). Use their assembly lube.
Good opportunity to port and polish but this is no minor undertaking (I'm still working on mine 10 months later).

Definitely get your head magnafluxed to check for cracks around the exhaust valve seat area.
good luck
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
otis147
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otis147 »

Pulled head off tonight, have crack in #2 exhaust valve seat. Is this common? Any suggestions on what I should do from here?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

otis147 wrote:Pulled head off tonight, have crack in #2 exhaust valve seat. Is this common?
Very common unfortunately.
Some will say that you can pull the head off of a good running XR and its 95% likely to have a crack in the exh valve seat.
sabre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabre »

Back in 2004, i blew the head gasket on my '87 xr. I took the head to a highly reputable machine shop to check for cracks. They found one. I could not find a replacement head, and asked them if they had any other ideas. They suggested welding the crack. I didn't have much choice, so i gave the go-ahead and hoped for the best. It runs great to this day, and that is with all the charging up long winding grades in the arizona mountains in blazing summers. See if you can't find someone locally who does head welding for the racing community. Make sure they can do Iron heads as they are more complicated than Aluminum heads.
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

I'd say get the seat replaced, but it sounds like the crack made it into the water jacket :( You can look for a different head, get someone that knows what they're doing to weld the head or use this as an excuse to get an Esslinger aluminum D-port or even the Rapido aluminum replacement if you're not planning on much porting.

BTW, you could not pay me to run a 1035 again. It did not hold up very long, even with undercut ARP studs. Either use an 8993 for moderate boost levels or a Cometic MLS if you can get the head and block cleaned up.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I think the Rapido heads are NLA
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

merkurdriver wrote:I think the Rapido heads are NLA
I thought Russ recently had a batch made. They were not cheap though.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
otis147
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otis147 »

Probably going to go the Esslinger aluminum d-port route. Hoping I can reuse my cam for now to save a bit of money and get it on the road, but I'll have to contact them and see.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

I have a turbo head that was just checked by my machine shop for cracks (magnafluxed) and it is fine. I was thinking about keeping it as a spare but I also want to help out the XR community. Are you interested or are you definitely going the Esslinger route?
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
otis147
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otis147 »

James Wieler wrote:I have a turbo head that was just checked by my machine shop for cracks (magnafluxed) and it is fine. I was thinking about keeping it as a spare but I also want to help out the XR community. Are you interested or are you definitely going the Esslinger route?
James
Keep it for somebody else that has less of a budget to work with if you'd like to help out the community.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

will do, good luck and let us know how the Esslinger treats you
James
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Ask your friend who allegedly rebuilt the engine if he surfaced the block..

These days they ALWAY need surfacing-----25+ years ago not as often...

Pretty pointless to talk about studs and aluminum heads if it is unknown if the deck is perfect or not..

16-17 of the last 16-17 Limas, YB Cosworths and Volvo Redblocks I have built or machined on all needed deck surfaced.

First thing first...a solid correct flat deck....then talk of other stuff..

Really disappointing that nobody else has even hinted at that...

(That means you have to be very careful whose advice you listen to...because boys are always distracted by shiny objects, and easily forget/ignore basic stuff)
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/