Just purchased a car that has been sitting--what to check

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
alexob53
Level 1
Level 1

Just purchased a car that has been sitting--what to check

Post by alexob53 »

Hello everyone,
I am buying an 88 xr4ti this weekend and I wanted a list of everything I should check to make sure it is a solid car. It has 70k miles but has not been running for two years. I know it has a radiator leak and an ac condenser leak. Other than that, what things specific to this car need to be checked? Thanks everyone!
88 Merkur XR4Ti manual
90 Chrysler TC by Maserati 16V
00 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 5-speed
01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 5-speed
08 Smart Fortwo
08 BMW 135i Cabriolet
DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Just purchased a car that has been sitting--what to chec

Post by DecalService »

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7600

Was a great resource for me,

But I'd check for play in the turbo shaft/bearings since its right there and so easy, also check and make sure both fuel pumps are working especially since the car had adequate time for gas to gum up the sending unit pump in the tank, in my case, the primary pump worked but sender didn't, causing a condition where the car would only run with close to full tank of fuel.

A general scan with the ford scan tool is always nice to do to find electrical components that aren't up to snuff,

Also, maybe check the half shafts, the boots may have split or torn after sitting for that long, especially if one of the wheels was elevated, also check for flat spots in the tires if you get a bumpy or uneven ride.

The xr4 is the king of too many coolant hoses so definitely check for more leaks so you don't end up with a head gasket issue. Vacuum leaks, vacuum leaks, VACUUM LEAKS.

Also cleaning the IAC might be wise.

I'd tell you to check more things if you had not already bought the car, but since you have, I'd say play it by ear and let us know what issues you are facing as they come up. My vote is that as long as it idles smooth-ish, doesn't overheat, and drives like an older car should, the rest can be dealt with easier than most other 80s foreign cars once you pick up the character and idisyncracies. My 1991 Sterling 827sli comes to mind as probably the most picky late 80s-early 90's car with its Lucas garbage electronics. Semi-polar opposite of the XR!
DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService »

Or did you even buy it? LOL

Either way, maybe it'll help someone else
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Two years is bout what a daily driver xr sits
Jeff
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Check the pinch welds, the trunk, and the cladding trim areas for rust... make sure all of your drain holes are clear. Check the sunroof metal frame for rust. Look closely at all the wiring, especially the alternator wires and the exposed bits of wire at the TFI connector plug. Check all of the grounds; they're critical to the proper function of the car, and by this time, they all need attention and sometimes replacement/beefing up/additional grounds (especially the taillights). Check your hazard switch and turn signals-- very carefully!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
svt4cobra6

Post by svt4cobra6 »

Timing belt and might want to drop the tank and clean it out. Mine was sitting for years and ran alot better once I did that. Also spark plug wires and the connector to my o2 sensor was all dried and cracked. I also have to replace the water pumped because it rusted and need to flush the coolant system.