Wildwood Brake caliper brackets.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
yodagirl49

Wildwood Brake caliper brackets.

Post by yodagirl49 »

Does anyone produce a front caliper bracket that will allow me to mount Wildwood calipers
to a XR4ti ?????
Thanks
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wildwood Brake caliper brackets.

Post by John V »

yodagirl49 wrote:Does anyone produce a front caliper bracket that will allow me to mount Wildwood calipers
to a XR4ti ?????
Thanks

front? Rear? which caliper? what diameter rotor? what thickness rotor?
To answer some of the unasked questions the answers are yes. yes, yes, maybe, yeah. probably and maybe..

Now we just need some questions to match the answers.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
FordManMT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FordManMT »

John V wrote:
yodagirl49 wrote:Does anyone produce a front caliper bracket that will allow me to mount Wildwood calipers
to a XR4ti ?????
Thanks

front? Rear? which caliper? what diameter rotor? what thickness rotor?
To answer some of the unasked questions the answers are yes. yes, yes, maybe, yeah. probably and maybe..

Now we just need some questions to match the answers.

I emailed you a second time and never received a reply. Thought you might of fainted that I sent a human email lol
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

I made my own for the dynalite calipers with the Focus SVT front rotor (~12"x 1.1")

my thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25617&hilit=wilwood
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
FordManMT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FordManMT »

James Wieler wrote:I made my own for the dynalite calipers with the Focus SVT front rotor (~12"x 1.1")

my thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25617&hilit=wilwood
what rims do you have on there? I noticed you said they were 17x7.50, how do they fit with the extra width? Clearance wise
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

They are made by Binno model B-970, 4x108, 40mm offset, hubcentric and they fit perfectly. They were listed for the Sierra on their web site so I figured they would have to fit. However I have front coilovers so that might make a difference, I never tried them with regular struts.
I had to roll the front fenders just a smidge (I really mean just a smidge).
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

there might be some available ;)
https://goo.gl/photos/rAYyoGm3ZD6M2doi7
those are the rears. i have the fronts as well, but they arent on yet.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Jason
What do you use for a parking brake?
James
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

James Wieler wrote:Jason
What do you use for a parking brake?
James

Same as what Ford used when they used this kind of brake set up.

Do it right and it fits under that consol/armrest thing...

Works gooooooood. :shock:
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

To piggyback off of John's reply, you must cut out the cassette holder. I'm planning to make a flat piece with cup holders in it. I have the hydraulic handbrake BTW, if that wasn't obvious.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Same as what Ford used when they used this kind of brake set up.

John V,
Can you provide some details? That looks like a Wilwood, but what bore diameter? Where did you mount the remote reservoir and is the outlet line just a "Tee" fitting spliced into the rear line? If so then when you step on the brake pedal pressure would be fed to both the rear calipers and that parking brake master. I assume that's OK right? Does that compromise the pressure going to the rear calipers?

This is a great idea as it will allow the rear caliper to be mounted on the leading side of the wheel and out of the way of rear coil-overs.

What rear caliper works with this? A Wilwood I assume? What bore size?
thanks
James
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

I dont yet have a handbrake plumbed into mine.
the main master cylinder just feeds into the reservoir input on the handbrake master cylinder, with the output continuing on to the rear wheels. when the handbrake is not engaged, brake fluid flows freely through it.
I dont remember on bore size for the handbrake master cylinger, i want to say 3/4" or 5/8"...
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Ahh, that's interesting. I didn't realize that pressure would go right through the parking master. Is it supposed to work that way?

Now that we don't need cables what are the suggestions for a decent rear caliper? I know John is using fixed 4 piston but that's probably over kill right? Even though they are a smallish bore diameter.

What do people think? Is there a fairly cheap 2 piston option available?

I like where this is going
James
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

James Wieler wrote:Ahh, that's interesting. I didn't realize that pressure would go right through the parking master. Is it supposed to work that way?
Yes. As the brake pads wear, the piston has to move closer to compensate or else you lose brake response waiting for the piston to move enough to take up the distance that used to be pad. When you completely lift off the brakes, there is a port that will be exposed, opening the system to the reservoir. So when you are off the brakes, it's an open system. For this application it simply allows the pressure to flow through the master cylinder.
James Wieler wrote:Now that we don't need cables what are the suggestions for a decent rear caliper? I know John is using fixed 4 piston but that's probably over kill right? Even though they are a smallish bore diameter.

What do people think? Is there a fairly cheap 2 piston option available?
Besides going with a used 2-piston caliper, you will be spending a small amount more for a 4 piston. John chose the 4 piston caliper to match the 100mm long pad and the correct caliper volume (with the 1.25" pistons, is almost identical in area to the Scorpio/Sierra/Cosworth 43mm) that Ford used on their race cars. It just happens to be the common "Dyna" series from Wilwood. It's also common between multiple companies. For this to work properly, you need to use front calipers with properly sized pads and pistons.

John has a bracket that uses a 3.5" mount dynapro calipers. Bolts onto the XR bearing carrier and uses 11.75" 2-piece rotors (rotors available for $30 a piece). Starting price is not cheap, but everything else is.

If you are not in a hurry, I am working on brackets that use a much more common caliper with SVT focus rear rotors.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

timxr8 wrote:
James Wieler wrote:Ahh, that's interesting. I didn't realize that pressure would go right through the parking master. Is it supposed to work that way?
Yes. As the brake pads wear, the piston has to move closer to compensate or else you lose brake response waiting for the piston to move enough to take up the distance that used to be pad. When you completely lift off the brakes, there is a port that will be exposed, opening the system to the reservoir. So when you are off the brakes, it's an open system. For this application it simply allows the pressure to flow through the master cylinder.

OK, I understand what you mean about more fluid needed to move into the line to take up the space as the pad wears. But can you describe the open port thing? I want to make sure I understand that because I called Wilwood about this specific point and they said it is not recommended to have pressure go into that master through the inlet line. However, who knows who I talked to.

John chose the 4 piston caliper to match the 100mm long pad and the correct caliper volume (with the 1.25" pistons, is almost identical in area to the Scorpio/Sierra/Cosworth 43mm) that Ford used on their race cars. It just happens to be the common "Dyna" series from Wilwood. It's also common between multiple companies. For this to work properly, you need to use front calipers with properly sized pads and pistons.

OK, I already have Wilwood Forged Dynalite front calipers (1.75" pistons), I think John had mentioned he uses 1.625" pistons so I'm a little larger up front. These use an SVT Focus front rotor (~12" dia.)
thanks Tim
James