SVO Turbo

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

SVO Turbo

Post by boost_is_fun »

I have been working on getting my turbo out of my car, as it has been boosting weird. It boosts smooth to 5 psi quickly, holds, then "pops" to 10. (looking at stock gauge, so i'm sure it's inaccurate). I'm just curious as to how likely it is that the compressor wheel has hit the housing and completely ruined my turbo, to the point of not being worth rebuilding. If so, I recently saw an ad on craigslist for an SVO turbo, it has the .63 compressor A/R. What would be a good price for that turbo if it's in good shape? also, is the SVO turbo any form of an upgrade over the stock .48? Thanks. I'll probably just start a build thread and post questions there in the future, as I'm hoping to work on my car a lot more in the near future.
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: SVO Turbo

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I'd first look for vacuum/air intake leaks (VAM to turbo; turbo to TB; TB-intake manifold gaskets), then possible exhaust clog (loosen down pipe to converter and road test).

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Ed Lijewski wrote:I'd first look for vacuum/air intake leaks (VAM to turbo; turbo to TB; TB-intake manifold gaskets), then possible exhaust clog (loosen down pipe to converter and road test).

YMMV 8)
Thanks, should have thought of that since I have a fairly bad vacuum leak in my other car. Since I've already got the turbo mostly out, and the car has over 250000 miles on it, I'll just finish taking it out and give it a once over. (The turbo has been rebuilt once, but I don't know when)
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The Mustang SVO turbo is pretty much the same T-3 as the one found in the XR. The turbine (not compressor) housing is .63 instead of .48, so a little laggier, but capable of producing more boost. The compressor housing is different in that it has a 2" round outlet rather than a flange outlet. That makes it more "friendly" for plumbing in an intercooler, but you can also use a Nissan 300ZX housing to do the same thing.
Brad