Gathering parts for a over the winter T5 swap, diff opt?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
FordManMT
Level 2
Level 2

Gathering parts for a over the winter T5 swap, diff opt?

Post by FordManMT »

I cant seem to find a bell housing to mate the 2.3 to the T5.

anyone just use a adapter before?

My other option is to manufacture a bell housing. Obviously not a easy task. But do-able. One thing I have years of experience in is fabrication. Might be able to build a housing that will accept a hydraulic clutch assembly as well.

Can anyone post links to past T-5 swaps?

A friend of mine gave me his out of his fox body stang, "blown" of course. Input shaft folded all the teeth on itself and the counter shaft. He already installed hardened gears on the main shaft. I figured it would be about $500 in parts to get a new machined input and countershaft rated for 500hp.

If anyone has a 2.3/T5 bell housing they wanted to sell I wouldn't be apposed to that in the least.

The second part of this is a differential swap. I imagine even with a quaff LS it wouldn't last long with 450-500hp feeding it. I did consider building a 9" center diff, with larger CV shafts. Not sure if that would be to much weight/overkill.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gathering parts for a over the winter T5 swap, diff opt?

Post by timxr8 »

If you can get ahold of John Vanlandingham (JVAB), he does the Supra Diff kit. Might take a while to receive, sometimes it's hard to get ahold of him at different times in the day. It's worth it though. Another option people have done is the Ford 8.8 center out of the 99-04 Cobra/91-98 or so Lincoln MK VIII/89-94 or so T-Bird (iron case).
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
FordManMT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FordManMT »

timxr8 wrote:If you can get ahold of John Vanlandingham (JVAB), he does the Supra Diff kit. Might take a while to receive, sometimes it's hard to get ahold of him at different times in the day. It's worth it though. Another option people have done is the Ford 8.8 center out of the 99-04 Cobra/91-98 or so Lincoln MK VIII/89-94 or so T-Bird (iron case).

With the 8.8 I'll just need custom CV's? Other than making mounting brackets correct
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

FordManMT wrote:With the 8.8 I'll just need custom CV's? Other than making mounting brackets correct
Stock CVJ's - Merkur/Cosworth on outside, Ford tri-pod on inside. So obviously custom half-shafts are required. It's a pretty big job to do as a "one off" even if you are a fabricator.

Ford 2.3 to T-5 bells are easily and readily available. There are a few different types so do some research first.
Brad
Dangie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dangie »

I have a spare T5 bell housing that needs a home. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and zip code and I'll send you some pics and price inclusive of shipping.
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

I have several bellhousings of different sorts..even had a striaght pull which I lent to a local guy--who then sold the car with it.
Also diff kits for Supra diff are done but for a revised top plate..
Phone number is above, and telephone, as archaic as it is, is still the best way to get things done.

You will not kill a Supra diff and the CV adaptor plates are drilled and tapped ---thoughtfullyin advance---for both normal USA CV bolt circle and the larger Cosworth/Prosche CV bolt circle..
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Here's a nice article on swapping T5 into an XR:

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/te ... tem038.php
FordManMT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FordManMT »

Thank you guys
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

FordManMT wrote:Thank you guys

Where you at in MT? there's going to be another one there soon, in Helena.

Any derelict Xratties over there you know of? The guy in Helena will be looking for some common wear items like hubs and knuckles and hoods, grilles, roof skin, spare doors maybe.. You know normal stuff that wears out... :mrgreen:

when the car is skidding along on its roof :oops:
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/