I removed the short shift kit... No real difference?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

I removed the short shift kit... No real difference?

Post by DecalService » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:41 pm

So as I understand it, my car is a Rapido stage 2, and as such came with the short shift kit, being that I actually like the long throw of the oem kit, I retrofitted it with parts from my parts XR.

To be honest, there's no real discernable difference. In my parts XR and in my '88 XR which I've sold already, there was a longer, mushier throw to the gears.

On this one, my nice '86 Rapido, the gears are still crisp and firm, and still feels more "gated" than the way the others felt. Is there another "upgrade" from rapido or otherwise at work here that I don't know of? I'm trying to get the original feel back but don't know where else to look.

I've removed the shifter assembly by unscrewing the 4 bolts under the shift boot and replacing with the original version from parts car. Is there something else I need to be swapping over also, or is this the way a 49k mile T9/should feel vs. one thats done over 100k?

Thanks folks!

merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: I removed the short shift kit... No real difference?

Post by merkurdriver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:33 pm

A 49k mile T9 should definitely better than a 100k + T9. Also depending on how each was used/abused/etc.

You say you removed 4 bolts - that is only the "inner" shifter boot cover. The shifter itself is held on by 3 (torx) bolts in a triangular pattern on the T9.
if you removed the actual shifter with 4 bolts then that's a T5.

FWIW, Rapido stage II cars didn't include a "shift kit" of any sort.
Out of curiosity, does your car have the distinguishing mono-plane wing as in the ad below?
True Rapido cars are extremely rare and even the stage I cars had the mono-plane wing.
Heck, even the judges at Carlisle have handed out awards for "Rapido XR4Ti's" that were not really rapido cars, so there is a lot of confusion out there that's why I had to ask if you have a real mono-plane Rapido XR as they are extremely rare.

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Mike, I am sorry, yes, I also removed the 3 bolts holding the shift assembly in place. I then swapped that over with the one from my parts XR. I am 100% that this car has the t9.

Regarding the Rapido stuff, I believe you are right now that I think about it. In fact, oddly, now that im seeing the pic you posted, my car has all the stage 3 goodies as well, the only things missing are the car cover (which would be amazing to have lasted this long), the turbo "heckblende" and the wing (thank god cause I don't like the look of it). I bought this car with the awards it came with from Carlisle, and on one of them, it says "2nd place, Merkur preservation award, Rapido Xr4.” I have never personally been to Carlisle.

I figure they were the experts and knew a real one when they saw it. I figured the buyer decided against the heckblende and wing, but now I see that it makes more sense that the original owner must have just spent a lot of money with Rapido back in the day. This car has it all down the stainless steel exhaust and each item truly matches the Rapido catalog items.

Seems strange, as I would assume that it would have been cheaper to get Rapido to do it all from the get-go.

mopman93
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mopman93 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 pm

From what I've heard rapido only built cars in the same fashion that Steeda does. A dealer would have to be in license with them and send the car directly to rapido for modifications. I doubt many dealerships had this option.

If you put a stock 2-piece t-9 shifter in your car (the one with the rubber isolator about halfway down the shaft) and it still feels nice and crisp then enjoy!

Also, I think we're all assuming the shifter you removed from you car is similar to the one shown on BAT's website that has a straight cro-moly shaft?

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:08 pm

DecalService wrote:I bought this car with the awards it came with from Carlisle, and on one of them, it says "2nd place, Merkur preservation award, Rapido Xr4.” I have never personally been to Carlisle.

I figure they were the experts and knew a real one when they saw it.
Is your car red? If so, I've seen it at Carlisle and its probably the car I'm thinking of that won an award as a "Rapido XR" ( when its not ).
I'm willing to bet the judges have never even seen a real Rapido XR, and figured with all those parts on it that it must be one.
(For the record there has only been one real Rapido XR at Carlisle and that was 2005. Record breaking attendance year, it was easily overlooked in the sea of 200+ XRs)

HOWEVER... yours is a beautiful car with low miles and that's the real important part :cheers

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 pm

mopman93 wrote:From what I've heard rapido only built cars in the same fashion that Steeda does. A dealer would have to be in license with them and send the car directly to rapido for modifications. I doubt many dealerships had this option.
Transformation was done AT the dealership the majority of the time. 95% west coast / California when Rapido HQ was in CA.

jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Think the Club could get Russ to write up some of his history/ stories/ production before it's too late? BTW, sorry to go semi off topic (....the old days..)

merkurdriver wrote:
mopman93 wrote:From what I've heard rapido only built cars in the same fashion that Steeda does. A dealer would have to be in license with them and send the car directly to rapido for modifications. I doubt many dealerships had this option.
Transformation was done AT the dealership the majority of the time. 95% west coast / California when Rapido HQ was in CA.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words, folks and good ideas. I appreciate it!

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:56 pm

And yes, my car is red :) its probably the one you are thinking of

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Apologies for the multiple replies, but yes, my shifter is in fact, after research, the one that bat offers.

Call me strange, but I actually like the mushiness. Thats the feel I want to get. Seems like the only way to do so is to put the stock shifter back in and drive it.... A lot..

Ever since buying this car, I don't feel like I can shift where I want in the blink of an eye. I'm always second guessing myself and hunting for gears despite the transmission being healthy and never spitting a gear back or disengaging or grinding. It's just... Notchy.. Too notchy for my taste. Seems like reverse is hard to engage at times as well.

With the new redline fluid, about 40% has gone away but some still remains. Perhaps the transmission is exactly what someone else wants, but I prefer the more traditional stock feel. Are there any parts, like bushings or bearings that could possibly have been replaced to give this more firm feel?

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 am

DecalService wrote:
With the new redline fluid, about 40% has gone away but some still remains.
There is a specific manual fluid for the T9...

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:26 am

Yes, Mike, I'm aware of that and was torn between buying it from you (you were selling on eBay too in addition to your website, I believe) or going the redline route, and to be honest, I am glad I went the redline route in this case because I can attest that it did in fact help a significant amount.

Last year I created a thread on this here on this site and after talking with t9 owners on various vehicle forums, the redline mt90 seems to have been a solid performer in the t9.

I believe now that my issue with the transmisson feel is the easy to change black plastic bushing that is so famous in these cars, and I'm quite surprised that despite the popularity for failure, nobody touched on this fact here. I'll be ordering one very soon.

Thanks as always, folks.

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 am

The funny thing is that two people have told me that they prefer my t9's feel over their own, but alas, I'll be the one driving it so that doesn't matter :D

It's admittedly nice and precise, just not.... Mushy enough... And to boot, reverse was a pain to find with the bat shift kit. That's been resolved with the original shifter, but I'm hoping the order of a new black bushing will make this car even more fun to drive

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 am

By all accounts I've read/heard of, the T9 shifter from BAT was the best available for that transmission, and superior to most "short-shift" kits which simply modified the stock shifter. I've only ever had the latter, which was an improvement over stock... and I doubt that the BAT one is still available... but perhaps someone here can provide more info as to who made the part, how it worked by their experience, etc.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

DecalService
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DecalService » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:42 am

Ive studied on this matter, and in fact, if I'm not mistaken, in this forum there exists a thread where many were frustrated with the bat shifter for a while due to the same reasons, mainly reverse not being easy to engage or being too easy to engage, causing frustration at red lights. Now, I'm not sure if this is regarding the shift lever or the authentic, original bat modification kit you speak of.

Bat was looking into the matter and stated that they didn't know right off hand what was happening. Seems like most peoples issues went away with a new bushing, but some had to grind the fork. I'll try a new bushing from Mike and report back.