Alternate Caliper to Scorpio Rear Calipers/hubs on XR

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Alternate Caliper to Scorpio Rear Calipers/hubs on XR

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Here's the rest of the pics.

Bleeder perfectly located using the '98 - '05 FWD Passat rear caliper and bracket/carrier...

Figuring out my options for the hydraulic line was fun. Ultimately what I decided was to somewhat mimic the factory routing approach. The inner line from the body is the similar-function line from a Lincoln LS. The middle hard-line that goes along the back of the STA is a stock XR line that has been shortened, bent, and re-flared. The line from the caliper is a stock Passat line, but it is only found on the '98 & '99 FWD Passat. Starting in 2000, the line changed to a single combination flex/hard line that is much longer.

Clears a 16" wheel, but not with much space. I actually had to whiz off the loop at the end of the cable since it was contacting the inside of the wheel. This is only the case because you don't actually use the loop at the end of the cable to actuate the e-brake so it sticks out beyond the lever on the caliper.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Image
BTW, fixing this issue was easy. I put the brackets in a vise and milled the surface that the pad carriers ride on down by about 1mm. The pads ride right out at the edge of the rotor. It was a minimal enough cut that it didn't throw anything else off. The "Mickey Mouse ears" on the pads still applies enough pressure to keep the pads in place.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:The bigger issue is that this bracket is also designed for a 20mm offset. I can fix it with a simple 18mm thick pass-through spacer, and that's probably what I'll do. Heck, I'll probably just cut the Jetta brackets up, bore out the holes to 10mm and mill those to 18mm.

Indeed I did go ahead and use the sliced and diced up Jetta brackets as spacer. The funny thing is that the spacer requirement was about .5mm less on one side vs. the other, and both were less that 18mm. I think one side needed about 17mm and the other needed 16.5mm. Weird, but that's what it took to center the rotor in the caliper bracket.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Good info and write up!
I'm curious though, all of this is to allow you to use the Scorpio hub?
What is the benefit of that?
Sorry for my ignorance, I know zero about Scorpios...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote:I'm curious though, all of this is to allow you to use the Scorpio hub?
I'm actually not using the Scorpio hub since I wanted to stay with 4x108. I'm using the Scorpio bearing carrier and stub shaft with the 2WD Cosworth hub; they share the same (larger) bearings so the carrier is the same. I could have sourced it all from a Cosworth, but I already had all the Scorpio stuff. The bigger bearing was one of the drivers for this project along with using the Scorpio STA which has a more robust shock mount.

The VW calipers are VERY widely used in a variety of slightly different configurations (different brackets, plumbing fitting locations, flex lines, etc). I was confident I could get some combination of parts to work.
Brad
Zoidborg

Post by Zoidborg »

Has anyone looked into the 1998-2000 Ford Contour SVT rear brakes? I noticed the discs have very similar dimensions to the Scorpio/Sierra Cosworth rotors in terms of hub and overall diameter. The Contour SVT rear rotor is vented, though. I would love to see if the Contour SVT rear caliper bracket attaches fits or can be made to fit onto the disc conversion bracket that we use to mount the Scorpio/Sierra rear caliper bracket and caliper onto. If it positions the brake pad in the right place it might be an easy swap option. I can get Contour SVT brake components from RockAuto pretty easily for example.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Zoidborg wrote:Has anyone looked into the 1998-2000 Ford Contour SVT rear brakes?
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has looked at the Contour SVT rear caliper. I think we looked at using the rotor though. Doing a quick search though, it looks like the rear SVT rotor and caliper may not any different from the non-SVT version. Or are the listings all wrong?
Brad
Zoidborg

Post by Zoidborg »

The Contour rotor has the same dimensions as the Sierra/Focus rear rotor, but it is about 10mm deeper and vented. I have purchased a pair of the Contour SVT calipers with brackets at a good price. I think what I will do first is see how they match up with the solid rotor. There are more higher performance brake pad options for this caliper than for the older Scorpio caliper, and I intend ultimately to put some good heat into them lol.

Depending on how the calipers look against the Sierra rotor I may go ahead and get the Contour vented rotors. If spacing is required it might be something like a 10mm spacer between the rotor and the hub. Though it appears I would need longer wheel studs to be able to thread the lug nuts onto them. Perhaps some Dorman 610-340s would fit; they appear to be only about 8mm longer but that may be enough.

This is but one sub-project among many for this car lol, so if the Contour calipers work with the solid discs I may keep that configuration for now. Would be pretty sweet to have vented rotors on the rear to go with the larger PBR calipers and kit on the front of the car :thumb
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Zoidborg wrote:The Contour rotor has the same dimensions as the Sierra/Focus rear rotor, but it is about 10mm deeper and vented.
The Contour rotor is 10" diameter, yes? That kills it for me.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Just for possible future reference, when doing weird things with VAG brake parts, these guys supply all sorts of adapters for helping with such Frankensteining efforts....
https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/?p=1
Brad
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EodGuy99 »

I used the Contour SVT rear brakes (and fronts too) on my Azure Blue 86 for several years. I'll try to find the old pics and post them.
Also the Focus SVT rotor-turned down from 280mm dia to 273mm dia, is a perfect match for my rear Cossie rotors, using the stock Sierra/Scorpio calipers.
Jeff
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EodGuy99 »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pVozfy7FaDH3gXAR7

86 XR with Contour SVT rear brakes
Jeff
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

EodGuy99 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:33 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/pVozfy7FaDH3gXAR7

86 XR with Contour SVT rear brakes
What kind of adapters were used? if you even used any. That looks interesting for people who are dead-set on vented rear rotors.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.