xr with dull paint

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Kernow
Level 1
Level 1

xr with dull paint

Post by Kernow »

Hi every one
Just put my black 88 xr on the road after winter hiatus,she has the original black paint which is now kinda dull ,any tips on products i can use to bring back the paint
thanks in advance
shawn
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: xr with dull paint

Post by merk23literturbo »

The top layer of paint oxidizes as it ages. That is now dead paint. You can safely remove it with a cleaning wax, which contains some ammonia. It might take two passes depending on how bad it is. You can also use 50/50 ammonia and water to remove the dead layer but you have to be real careful and test a hidden area first. I did this to my black car and it removed the oxidized layer very quickly. Then you wash it and wax it. I am painting the car anyway so I am not worried about any damage the ammonia does to the paint.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbar »

3M makes a product with a 3 step process which restores badly oxidized paint to new quality.

Step 1. A heavy abrasive compound that you apply and then buff thoroughly. Let dry and then wipe clean.

Step 2. Repeat with the mild polish.

Step 3. A finishing polish. Buff to a clear shine.

The product is used by the best body/paint shops and is rather expensive but it works better than any of the bargain stuff commonly available. I wouldn't even consider the many, cheap 1-step products.

The best results are obtained using a hi-torque, variable speed, dual action power buffer.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

The best results are obtained using a hi-torque, variable speed, dual action power buffer.
I would disagree. I use the least aggressive method possible first and see what happens. Too aggressive and you will burn through on the 30 year old paint.

Here's some pretty good info about safe detailing. I can't believe how much time this guy spends making videos. Lot's of nice cars in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Start slow !
3M makes some great stuff that is somewhat from the fiberglass boat business.
I have used Perfect-it and others in the past, it could cut through a car's paint in short order.
Finesse-it is lighter but still pretty stout.
Be careful
Do not hurry ?
'85 XR
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

loads of awesome youtube detail videos from user AMMO NYC on paint repair, clear coat finishes, detailing tools, detailing products and many other defects one could expect at any time to get.
Jeff
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

loads of awesome youtube detail videos from user AMMO NYC on paint repair, clear coat finishes, detailing tools, detailing products and many other defects one could expect at any time to get.
He does amazing work(on amazing cars), he can wash a car and not put a scratch in it, even those ultra fine ones you never see. Amazing commitment to do one thing so well.
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbar »

Yeah, I should have added a caution that using a power buffer can easily burn through the paint on an older factory finish, especially at a panel edge or at a seam. Almost all of my experience is with new paint that I sprayed myself, so I know how thick it is and how quickly it cuts.

I still recommend the power buffer, at least on the large surfaces and with the final polish.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.