Dumb: Power steering pump cap

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Dumb: Power steering pump cap

Post by thesameguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I had to take my '94 F150 on a 1000 mile roadtrip last weekend, and during my pre-trip inspection I found the power steering cap's o-ring was failing and fluid was *poofing* out of the cap. Knowing how Ford is, I ganked the cap from the XR4Ti to put into the F150. Solved.

So now I'm back and need a new cap, but I'm noticing the cap that was on the Ford is similar to all the reproduction parts - just a plastic cap with an o-ring seal. However, the cap that came off the XR4Ti also has a rubber "shield" at the top of the dipstick, helping to prevent fluid from ever getting to the o-ring in the first place. Is this the original cap or some reproduction? Is it available anywhere?

fdt93
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dumb: Power steering pump cap

Post by fdt93 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:08 pm

My 86 Merkur power steering cap has the "shield" on it too.
On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
-Charles Babbage

turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I have gotten mine from "Help" section in any major auto parts store which had the extra sheild as well.

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Very interesting - those are also Dorman parts, but a different line. I will check that out!