Fmic time!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Fmic time!

Post by Choochoochoo »

Going to start working on the placement and hopefully install my fmic this weekend! Any suggestions or tips? I'm using the stock intake still, eventually I upgrade to a 90. I guess I'm more looking for tips and what worked well for you guys...
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fmic time!

Post by In XS 7 »

You will love your XR with the IC. What kind of IC and radiator do you have? :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

As far as I can tell, it's just the stock radiator, which I would love to replace with a bigger, better one... And the intercooler is just some eBay intercooler, but I got the whole setup for $100, so I couldn't pass it up.... I mean, any intercooler is better than no intercooler....
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Fixed
Choochoochoo wrote:As far as I can tell, it's just the stock radiator, which I would love to replace with a smaller, better one... And the intercooler is just some eBay intercooler, but I got the whole setup for $100, so I couldn't pass it up.... I mean, any intercooler is better than no intercooler....
Can you post link to the I/C you purchased?
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Let's just go with a better radiator.. :lol: as for the link, sorry, can't help ya there. I know this is an eBay item, my buddy bought it for his turbo coupe, then sold his turbo coupe and offered the intercooler setup to me for $100.....
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Well, found out today why the ic setup was so cheap to begin with.... There's some slight damage to the bottom of the intercooler, doesn't look like it's going to cause problems, but still... All of the piping and couplers are 2.5id, and the intercooler is 2.25od in and out...... So, now the issue is do I just get some 2.25-2.5 couplers, or do I get all new piping.. Or, just say screw it and get a whole new setup with quality parts and not get the wheels I was wanting..... :?
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Unless you have no long-term plans for the car, I'd just do it right the first time as the investment will stay with you. If you're just messing around and want a little more now, whatever, go for it. Unless the dent in the core makes it to passage, I wouldn't worry too much.
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

I'm not going to lie, I'm sorely tempted to get the reduced couplers and make it work for the time being, then just swap out the piping later.... I dunno, maybe I'll just see how much it will cost to just bend some aluminum tubing so I don't have to run but a few couplers.....
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

If the I/O on the intercooler is 2.25, that is going to be your limitation. Bigger piping won't get you anything if there is that "restriction" in the middle.

That said, you're still going to be limited by the <2.25" throttle body at the end, so 2.25" all the way will probably do you fine, and smaller piping will help improve intake velocity and responsiveness, not to mention ease your working space.

I would look further down the road - 2.25" should support a solid 250+hp. If that's your goal, there may not be need to go much further. Much more than that and you're talking about a lot more than just an intercooler anyway.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

me too, I have everything I need, just waiting to take the car out!

espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Boport contends that the stock throttle body us fine until over 350hp..
thesameguy wrote:If the I/O on the intercooler is 2.25, that is going to be your limitation. Bigger piping won't get you anything if there is that "restriction" in the middle.

That said, you're still going to be limited by the <2.25" throttle body at the end, so 2.25" all the way will probably do you fine, and smaller piping will help improve intake velocity and responsiveness, not to mention ease your working space.

I would look further down the road - 2.25" should support a solid 250+hp. If that's your goal, there may not be need to go much further. Much more than that and you're talking about a lot more than just an intercooler anyway.
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I definitely wouldn't disagree, but I wouldn't use the intercooler as a pre-obstacle either. ;)
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

thesameguy wrote:I definitely wouldn't disagree, but I wouldn't use the intercooler as a pre-obstacle either. ;)
Fair enough, HAHA

I'm probably going to buy my last intercooler soon.

I'm looking at these two intercoolers.

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-univ ... escription

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... y_Code=INT
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Matt01 wrote:me too, I have everything I need, just waiting to take the car out!

Lips on the piping. Sure would make blowing off the pipes a lot less frequent. I need to get that for mine.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

a ghetto fix us slightly bend the ends outward with pliers all the way around. Use silicone couplers and tbolt clamps.
DAReese wrote:
Matt01 wrote:me too, I have everything I need, just waiting to take the car out!

Lips on the piping. Sure would make blowing off the pipes a lot less frequent. I need to get that for mine.
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL