Intercooler tubing modification.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Intercooler tubing modification.

Post by Choochoochoo »

The piping for the fmic is a little snug in the area of the rad fan and the power steering pump pulley as well as the alternator pulley. I was thinking about just "flattening" or ovalizing the tube. I'm sure other people have done this, any tips? Pretty sure it's aluminum piping.. Just don't want to crack it. My method behind this was going to be some 2x4s in a vice with the tubing in the middle and ever so slowly "press" a portion of it into the oval shape so it won't contact the pulleys. Thoughts?
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Intercooler tubing modification.

Post by my8950 »

I recall seeing a company that actually makes oval pipe.
That may be a better route to go, unless crushing in a vice works ok for you. ;)
Not sure how many ways there are to reshape the pipe smoothly.
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

It doesn't need to be super oval, just enough so I don't rub on the pulleys. Only really need about 1/2 inch more clearance to be super comfortable with it.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
NiggyMerk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NiggyMerk »

What intercooler are you running?
1987 Xr4ti (Rosso Red) - LA3, Big VAM, Cossie exhaust housing,
Cosworth 2wd IC, Turbo back 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler,
TC rear disc brakes

Nick
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

I watched a recent episode of Engine Masters where they were testing an engine on a dyno after whacking the header pipes with a big hammer. they saw no performance hit until they really flattened a bunch of the pipes and even then the performance loss wasn't bad at all.... a few HP max. This can probably be applied to IC piping as well. so if you were worried about ruining performance due to altering the shape of your IC pipe a little, well... you don't have to be. as long as you don't crimp the pipe, you're golden 8)
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

To be honest, I'm adding performance by adding a fmic, especially since I don't have an ic at all currently, so I wasn't too concerned about loosing power due to the shape of the tubing not being round. I'm not going to go all crazy with it, just ovalize it enough to get the clearance I'm comfortable with. But still, always good to know that I won't be losing to many ponies from the barn when I do it!
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

NiggyMerk wrote:What intercooler are you running?
It's just a cheap eBay special I got for next to nothing from a friend. It's somewhere in the range of 27x4x2.5? Nothing huge, but still functional, and better than nothing.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

I have the Cossie IC and cut the outlet off and twisted it 90 degrees and rewelded it on so that it aims where I want it. No worries about it getting in the way now. Here's some pics:
http://s586.photobucket.com/user/merk23 ... t=2&page=1
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Eventually I'll just go with either a rotated upper intake, or I'll just make my own and then I won't have to worry about it either. But for now, it's the simplest solution.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti