Installing aftermarket seats

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Anto_D

Installing aftermarket seats

Post by Anto_D »

I want to buy fixed racing seats and was wondering if the corbeau seat brackets that they make for the xr work with side mount brackets that come with fixed racing seats
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installing aftermarket seats

Post by Mike McCreight »

I used a couple of pieces of flat stock to adapt the factory seat bases to the side mounts on the driver's side for my fixed back seat, and for the bottom mount for the "tuner" seat for the passenger seat. I prefer a fixed back seat, and if your passenger is female, she's going to hate it.
Either way, you'll be doing some fabricating. I think you'd find the seat angle of a fixed back seat on a non-adjustable bracket very uncomfortable. It's like sitting in a kayak. Too upright, and NO thigh support.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Anto_D

Post by Anto_D »

So its possible then to mount the side mount brackets to the stock sliders? Should save me 200 bucks not having to buy corbeau rails. I cant find any threads or instructions on how to go about fabbing this up.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

I have some stock sliders, if you want to fab before taking your car apart.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

The problem is, with the XR rails, is that the fabrification needs to be done in the car. The floor is the 3rd member.
When I did the 2nd (or was it 3rd? 4th?) set, I actually cut the floor sections right out of a parts car, to save wear and tear on my back and neck. :|
You'll need a countersink bit and hardware. When you mount the flat stock to the seat rails you'll see why.
I think I used 3/8" X 2" stock. Sorry I didn't document the process, but I was too busy cutting, grinding, drilling, countersinking, and swearing.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

Mike McCreight wrote:The problem is, with the XR rails, is that the fabrification needs to be done in the car. The floor is the 3rd member.
When I did the 2nd (or was it 3rd? 4th?) set, I actually cut the floor sections right out of a parts car, to save wear and tear on my back and neck. :|
You'll need a countersink bit and hardware. When you mount the flat stock to the seat rails you'll see why.
I think I used 3/8" X 2" stock. Sorry I didn't document the process, but I was too busy cutting, grinding, drilling, countersinking, and swearing.
I think it was Mike that instructed me to do it this way years ago.
I took the easy way out I think. I actually cut like 4 2"x3" pieces of flat bar and drilled holes in them to adapt the holes on my Recaro seat, to the holes on the stock seat rail.

Pro-Tip: Use loc tite and nylon washer (lock bolts) so the bolts dont all back out on you over the years... Ask me how I know.

I actually have a unmodified seat rail sitting in my trunk if anyone wants a visual to make a mental game-plan. I can post them up after.
Anto_D

Post by Anto_D »

That would be awesome!!
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

If you're installing Kirkey seats, I have brackets for those.
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

Anto_D

Post by Anto_D »

Thanks for the photos! Now i just got to figure out how to mount side mount brackets to it.
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

If you make/sell those, they will come....