T9 Parts?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

T9 Parts?

Post by LITTELHAWK »

My xr's transmission was making a lot of noise anytime the car was moving. I took it up to a local shop in town for them to disassemble and diagnose. The call back informed me that the countershaft bearings and the rod that runs through the countershaft are obliterated. The real bad news is that neither the shop nor I can find parts for replacement.

Anyone know where I could find parts, preferably new?

If I decide to do the T-5 swap, what exactly do I need to know.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: T9 Parts?

Post by Choochoochoo »

Sounds like an opportune time to do the t5 swap. I think you need a different cross member, and a different/custom driveshaft at the very least.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

If you want new try:
http://97.74.32.155/files/xr4.pdf
BAT has nearly everything for the inside of the T9

MPM also have some new T9 bits and pieces as well.

OR opt for the T5 swap
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

And www.teamblitz.com has a full rebuild/performance service for the T9. I'm sure Norm can get you parts, as well.

He might talk your ear off, if you call. Lol.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Burtonpower in Essex in the UK:
http://www.burtonpower.com/
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

Thanks guys, I'm still looking, BAT is out and cannot get more, I emailed TeamBlitz but haven't gotten a reply.

Rapido Group sounds confident they can get me what I need, just trying to find out which model T9 I have.

Burton Power definitely has options, but they seem really expensive, hoping I don't have to go that route right now, though I do hope those are still around when I have more money and start working on my real project xr.
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

I know of a Junkyard XR4Ti with a manual T-9 of unknown condition. Engine and Trans look like they're in good condition though, seems like it was electronic problems that sidelined this beast. Where are you located?
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

LITTELHAWK wrote:Thanks guys, I'm still looking, BAT is out and cannot get more, I emailed TeamBlitz but haven't gotten a reply.

Rapido Group sounds confident they can get me what I need, just trying to find out which model T9 I have.

Burton Power definitely has options, but they seem really expensive, hoping I don't have to go that route right now, though I do hope those are still around when I have more money and start working on my real project xr.
Burton --without VAT--export ya know---will be cheaper than any other source in the end..
And faster too.

You will need to identify the box you have..photos and measurements..
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

John V wrote: Burton --without VAT--export ya know---will be cheaper than any other source in the end..
And faster too.

You will need to identify the box you have..photos and measurements..
US dollar to Pound exchange rate is really good right now, too.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

dunhamr1 wrote:I know of a Junkyard XR4Ti with a manual T-9 of unknown condition. Engine and Trans look like they're in good condition though, seems like it was electronic problems that sidelined this beast. Where are you located?

Kansas City
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

So, after further inspection, my mechanic now believes we should definitely do a swap, I guess metal is everywhere inside the case.

I am definitely hoping to do the T5 swap if I can find one, but I was curious if anyone has tried the Quaife six speed option from Burton Power?

If I can't find a junkyard T5, I might consider saving up some money to try it out if someone has any experience with it, surprisingly it doesn't look like it would cost too much more than the rebuilt T5's that I've found.

I have found rebuilt T9's but I am hoping to upgrade after seeing the destruction I have wrought on the last one.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

T5s on hand here. Good used, rebuilt, etc. Also have the clutch / speedo cables, 2.3T bellhousing, etc. Email me directly merkurdriver@gmail.com to discuss T5 options and costs if you'd like.