Gnari fmic

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Gnari fmic

Post by John Brennan »

Mike's kit is pretty much bolt-on, with the exception of the cold-side piping... which, once you have sourced/created, will... bolt right on.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

my8950 wrote:
that owner must have a lot of sentimental value with his Rapido setup.
The cost of that kit is more than I've paid for any of the 8 XR's I've owned.
I can't justify his costs...
Nothing with hot rodding is a bolt on, I think thats a marketing angle to make it sound like even a caveman can do it.
People buy, then they get put on the shelf in the garage, company has your money, and you have parts in your garage that never get used...
Then you try to sell 30 yrs later thinking it has gone up in value and is some sort of antique.

Thats straight from Rapido's own ebay account.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Spaldino wrote:Thats straight from Rapido's own ebay account.
in that case, maybe someone wife is telling them to sell things they don't want to sell...
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Just got notice that my email bounced. So I'm guessing that we won't be getting any response from them about this kit.
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

Oh well.. it looked so promising too.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

Both bar and plate design, not a good design.
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

It's also the most common design, which tells me it's not that bad. But, out of curiosity, which design would you choose?
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Intercooler types and info:

http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm#Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

Bar and plate is the strongest, seems the easiest to manufacture, and can easily by produced in varying sizes.

But it's mainly about fluid dynamics and the bar and plate design fail when compared to tube and fin. FYI air is a fluid.
Here's a quick pix showing fluid flow around the fins:

Air cannot flow easily through the bar and plate, the air hits a wall of turbulence before entering the cooling fin area, the smooth entry of the tube and fin create less turbulence which = more air flow through the fins which = more cooling.

Enough for now...
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
Zerrati

Post by Zerrati »

I actually have this kit on my XR. It wan incredibly difficult to install since it came with no instructions and every picture they have of it installed on a vehicle seems to have a different set up. The BOV does barely fit in an 85-88 due to the coolant reservoir, and I can not find a way to connect the BOV to the intake without modifying some of the parts that came with the kit. It will not fit the stock XR turbo and will need adapters.

On the plus side it does look decent and definitely does the job. I wish I could say more...
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Zerrati wrote:I actually have this kit on my XR. It wan incredibly difficult to install since it came with no instructions and every picture they have of it installed on a vehicle seems to have a different set up. The BOV does barely fit in an 85-88 due to the coolant reservoir, and I can not find a way to connect the BOV to the intake without modifying some of the parts that came with the kit. It will not fit the stock XR turbo and will need adapters.

On the plus side it does look decent and definitely does the job. I wish I could say more...

I'm assuming you're talking about the Gnari kit being what you have on your car?
Zerrati

Post by Zerrati »

Yeah, sorry. I should have specified that. It is the Gnari FMIC