Oil Pan Gasket

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
alexob53
Level 1
Level 1

Oil Pan Gasket

Post by alexob53 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:52 am

Hello XR lovers,

I am confused about the two different styles of oil pan gaskets. I ordered a front crank seal for my 88 XR which came with a partial oil pan gasket, 1 piece of silicon semi-circle and 2 small cork pieces. From my understanding, this is for an early 85-87 XR. The later XR (I think) came with a 1-piece silicon gasket rather than a multi-piece thing. My question is, did the block/pan actually change or just the style gasket used, and can I install a multi-piece early pan gasket on my late XR? Thank you all!

BTW, I will be making a thread on the changing of gaskets/seals, doing water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing gasket, valve cover gasket, front main seal, cam seal, aux shaft seal, timing cover gasket, rear main seal, T9 gaskets and seals, turbocharger gaskets, probably some hoses, and anything else I deem necessary after digging in.
88 Merkur XR4Ti manual
90 Chrysler TC by Maserati 16V
00 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 5-speed
01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 5-speed
08 Smart Fortwo
08 BMW 135i Cabriolet

merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Post by merk23literturbo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:52 am

My question is, did the block/pan actually change or just the style gasket used, and can I install a multi-piece early pan gasket on my late XR
The front seal and the rear main bearing cap are different. The early ones have a groove for the multi piece gasket setup, The later caps are flat and require the one piece gasket. People have filled the early grooved caps with epoxy and machined it flat. The one piece gasket which is all silicone is a better design and leaks less.
As far as your write up project, you will need to find a front main seal installation tool and the shop manual has very specific directions for everything you are doing. Here's a link to a motor build I did which shows some of the stuff you will be dealing with.

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/merk23 ... t=3&page=1

Here's a pic of the seal aligning tool:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/lyzcoinc/f ... -tool.html
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?

Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:32 pm

merk23literturbo wrote:
The one piece gasket which is all silicone is a better design and leaks less.
umm ya, less is a good way to describe it

i dropped my subframe and did the gasket + oil pan, I have alot of regret that i didnt silicone the whole damn thing too..

alexob53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexob53 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks very much, I will order the right gasket and buy the $20 cover alignment tool equivalent for the seal from MC2. I have also ordered a couple tubes of RTV sealant since I'm doing water pump/thermostat and will apply it as I see necessary. Thanks for the info!
88 Merkur XR4Ti manual
90 Chrysler TC by Maserati 16V
00 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 5-speed
01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 5-speed
08 Smart Fortwo
08 BMW 135i Cabriolet