Heated seats?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Heated seats?

Post by Choochoochoo »

When did they start offering this option? Ive got two plugs under each seat, but no switch so im guessing the seats were replaced at some point. What would it take to get it working? Im guessing the harness for it and a switch at the very least. Where does the harness plug into the body harness so i can check it out? I wouldnt be hurt at all if incould warm my but while driving to work in the morning..
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Heated seats?

Post by DAReese »

Choochoochoo wrote:When did they start offering this option? Ive got two plugs under each seat, but no switch so im guessing the seats were replaced at some point. What would it take to get it working? Im guessing the harness for it and a switch at the very least. Where does the harness plug into the body harness so i can check it out? I wouldnt be hurt at all if incould warm my but while driving to work in the morning..
They all had it as an option. I always thought the wiring harness was already wired for them, just needed the switches and seats with the heating pad in them. I think all of the ones sold in the northern US & Canada came with them. All three of mine already had them.

The XR's are nice, but nowhere near as warm as my Camry's are. For the most part, they just take the chill off the seats. The Scorpio's seem to be a little warmer.

Oddly, the more luxurious Scorpio didn't have them in 88. Don't know if they were wired for them or not, as the console had blanks already for the switches. 89 had them as an option, but I think they pretty much came on all of them.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

DAReese wrote:
Choochoochoo wrote:The XR's are nice, but nowhere near as warm as my Camry's are. For the most part, they just take the chill off the seats.
Mine get HOT.
Hot enough that I have to turn 'em off after awhile.
You have leather? I have cloth seats and that could make a difference.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

eaton53 wrote:
DAReese wrote:
Choochoochoo wrote:The XR's are nice, but nowhere near as warm as my Camry's are. For the most part, they just take the chill off the seats.
Mine get HOT.
Hot enough that I have to turn 'em off after awhile.
You have leather? I have cloth seats and that could make a difference.
I've had two with leather and one with cloth. My current car has had both. I swear the seats were hotter when they were in my other car, but I haven't looked to see how they are regulated.
David Reese

merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

I haven't looked to see how they are regulated
The XR heaters have a thermostat switch in them that turns on at 70 and shuts off at 110 or something like that. I don't remember the exact temperatures. It looks like a little circular metal thingie and the wires go into it.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DAReese wrote:They all had it as an option. I always thought the wiring harness was already wired for them, just needed the switches and seats with the heating pad in them.
Nope, not correct (at least not for all cars). There is a heated seats sub-harness that plugs into the main body harness. That still makes it semi-easy to add heated seats, but not as easy as just adding switches and heated seats.
Brad
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
DAReese wrote:They all had it as an option. I always thought the wiring harness was already wired for them, just needed the switches and seats with the heating pad in them.
Nope, not correct (at least not for all cars). There is a heated seats sub-harness that plugs into the main body harness. That still makes it semi-easy to add heated seats, but not as easy as just adding switches and heated seats.
I should have looked when I had the interior out. I am pretty sure all of the cars delivered n the north had them. I know all of mine did, even though the most recent one was a southern car.
David Reese