MN12 T-Bird Master Cyclinder (MC) Swap

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: MN12 T-Bird Master Cyclinder (MC) Swap

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:Will wood has a valve with the metric fittings on it that are the same as the stock metric ones.
I was looking at this as an add on for mine when I put on the mark viii master.
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/ ... =260-12627
That's exactly why I'm asking this question Jeremy. The Wilwood I have (in front of me as I type this), has 1/8-27 NPT fittings. The one you linked has 10mm fittings. Isn't the rear 8mm?
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Ill double check when i get home this evening. I think all the fittings are 10mm bubble flare. On the MN 12 master the rear fitting is 12mm bubble but the front is 10mm bubble. I dont recall any being 8mm fittings.
https://centricparts.centriccatalog.com ... 3&ic=8&i=1

and heres the merk master, 3 port with 10mm bubble on each port
https://centricparts.centriccatalog.com ... 1&uid=ANR&
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

So I was mistaken on the proportioning valve fittings. They are m12x1.0 bubble flare but all the rest are m10 x 1.0 bubble flare. So that valve I linked above won't work without adapters and you can't seem to find adapters to go from m10 male to m12 female. I think your on the right track with yours. And you can get sae to m12 female such as this one.
http://www.brakeconnect.com/product/thr ... 12-x-1-dps
Either that or reflare the factory lines. I did use a m12 bubble flare union to bypass the stock proportioning valve though.
Jeremy Kemp

MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

jkxr4ti wrote: I think your on the right track with yours. And you can get sae to m12 female such as this one.
Thanks for the link. I need to get some of those for my proportioning valve before I switch rear brakes.

I'm running T-bird rears and PBR GT/V6 fronts. Even though I have the MN12 master, I still am not happy with the feel. I attribute this to the rear calipers. Mustangs with the PBR calipers used the same size MC bore as the MN12, and the brake feel is good, so it must not be the large dual 44mm pistons on the PBR calipers causing my problems. So looking at the rear i believe I have found the problem. The T-bird turbocoupe/Taurus calipers are 45mm piston vs the Mustang's 38mm piston. Likewise, the 2012 Focus rear calipers are also 38mm. I think Tim's kit is just what I need, but I want to get that proportioning valve in there.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:On the MN 12 master the rear fitting is 12mm bubble but the front is 10mm bubble.
You've got these reversed Jeremy. It's the rear that is 10mm and the front is 12mm. And yes, agreed (now), nothing is 8mm until you get to some of the downstream fittings.

So indeed it would make sense to go with the 1/8 NPT to 12mm fittings and then I'd probably be able to use at least one of the stock hard lines. I'd likely need to bend and re-flare the other line.

For the front I'll either re-use the Tee fitting I used before or look for one off a junkyard BMW.

Unrelated to the above, anyone know where the 3rd outlet goes on the bottom of the T-bird reservoir? I was thinking about using that reservoir since it's held more securely in place.
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

The stock t that splits the rear lines on the XR4Ti is also 10mm bubble flare so you could use one of those too.
Thanks for pointing that out about the rear fitting.
I'm inclined to just use bubble flares on the rest of the lines since the new master will be bubble flare too. They aren't really any harder to make once you have the right flaring tool.

Oh and I would bet that the other reservoir fitting is for the clutch master.
Jeremy Kemp

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:Oh and I would bet that the other reservoir fitting is for the clutch master.
Yep, that makes sense. Of course the neat thing about this swap is that you can use the original XR reservoir, but the one from the T-Bird is much more stably fastened to the MC.
Brad
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

whitelx wrote:...The T-bird turbocoupe/Taurus calipers are 45mm piston vs the Mustang's 38mm piston. Likewise, the 2012 Focus rear calipers are also 38mm. I think Tim's kit is just what I need...
There was a method to my madness with that kit. Mainly because the Focus brakes are the same size as the early XR master, but yes, the SN95 Mustangs used a 38mm piston. It's strange because the later Mustangs (14+) use smaller front pistons (43mm vs the earlier PBR's 45mm). Doesn't sound like much, but it's about a 10% difference in area and the later front brake piston area are almost identical to the stock 60mm piston. The later mustangs also use a 43mm rear piston like in the Scorpio. I was looking at those, but trying to get a vented rear disc to bolt on without any mods was not worth it and would have cost at least twice as much.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:And you can get sae to m12 female such as this one.
Either that or reflare the factory lines. I did use a m12 bubble flare union to bypass the stock proportioning valve though.
I presume this fitting is a bubble flare, right? Does DPS = Bubble flare?
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

DPS is a drill point seat. I have seen the adapters called both depending on the manufacturer.
Jeremy Kemp

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:DPS is a drill point seat. I have seen the adapters called both depending on the manufacturer.
Okay, good. I just picked up a Matco Bubble Flare tool kit for $30, so I should be good to go. What I'm hoping to do is re-use some SS braided flex lines I salvaged from a VW Passat ABS unit. They're 12mm on both ends, so I'd need to cut one end off and re-flare after exchanging the 12mm fitting for a 10mm. But it is a larger (6mm?) size line, so I'll need to find a 10mm fitting for the larger size line.
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Advanced auto and Napa both carry these fittings but usually behind the counter. If you can't find the fitting alone they also have preflared lines for pretty cheap that you could harvest one from too.
Jeremy Kemp

timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

I've got both 10mm and 12mm fine thread fittings to fit the 3/16" brake line if you are interested. Used it for the rear outlet on the Scorpio master when I removed the stock reducer to use an adjustable prop valve. Let me know.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

timxr8 wrote:I've got both 10mm and 12mm fine thread fittings to fit the 3/16" brake line if you are interested.
Thanks Tim. I'm pretty sure I've got a few of those. It's the 12mm fittings for the 6mm line that I need to track down.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote: you can get sae to m12 female such as this one.
Also available from these guys... http://stores.ebay.com/BRAKE-HOSES-UNLIMITED

Who will ship two adapters for a total of $13.17 shipped.
Brad