MN12 T-Bird Master Cyclinder (MC) Swap

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: MN12 T-Bird Master Cyclinder (MC) Swap

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Finally got this done. Not exactly as planned, but done. Thanks for the idea on the adapters Jeremy.
Attachments
XR4MC-1.JPG
XR4MC-1.JPG (967.1 KiB) Viewed 76 times
XR4MC-2.JPG
XR4MC-2.JPG (973.94 KiB) Viewed 76 times
XR4MC-3.JPG
XR4MC-3.JPG (1001.41 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Brad

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:57 am

Looks very tidy there Brad. Those lines look like they fit perfect. Did you end up going with stock parts store lengths or did you do the flaring yourself?
How is the pedal feel now?

I may also have a couple of these master cylinder adapter kits on sale at carlisle.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 pm

jkxr4ti wrote:Looks very tidy there Brad. Those lines look like they fit perfect. Did you end up going with stock parts store lengths or did you do the flaring yourself?
How is the pedal feel now?
It took way more effort than planned to get this done. I had an assortment of brake lines from junked BMWs and Mercedes to select from. I screwed up a couple times and had to start over. I wanted to have the 3-way splitter (sourced from a 1980 Mercedes) mounted to the inner fender, but I just gave up and zip-tied it to the MC as you see. It doesn't really need to be mounted - just would look nicer that way. The two lines for the fronts are the originals, just shortened, re-bent and flared. The factory tubing isn't really meant for hand-held tool flaring - it took a lot of effort and you really need to clamp the tube in place with a lot of force or it just pushed through.

I still need to reassemble the motor and bleed the brakes. That will come later.
Brad

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 am

jkxr4ti wrote:Oh and I would bet that the other reservoir fitting is for the clutch master.
On this data-point, when at the junkyard a couple weeks ago, I came across an automatic-equipped MN-12 and it also had the third reservoir fitting off the front-right corner. A hose was attached to it that went off somewhere towards the front-left wheel well. I didn't investigate further so still scratching my head on this one.... :dunno
Brad