An '88 XR that could be mine, or it could be sold.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

An '88 XR that could be mine, or it could be sold.

Post by thesameguy »

A friend of mine has an '88 XR that we rescued from San Francisco something like ten years ago. It probably has around 100,000 miles on it, but it's just random low mileage, not some sort of preservation effort... it's worn in & out. When we bought it, we replaced the clutch with a Centerforce and replaced a lot of vacuum hoses, and then it mostly sat. I remember driving it about 150 miles to Santa Rosa and back, and I'm sure it's been on the road a few times, but mostly it just sits. About two years ago the brakes were redone, and the single-wing hatch was replaced with a bi-wing hatch I had in storage but needed to offload. It's straight, but there are random surface rust spots from living near the ocean. Paint is not bad - between starting out in San Francisco and ending up parked in a garage, it's not all that beat up.

My friend is done with it - doesn't want to store it anymore, isn't going to fix it. It may or may not pass smog, so I think his intention is to donate it so that he doesn't have to try. It does make a California sale difficult.

I am considering buying it to strip down and use as a track car. Knowing me, it's something I might start and not finish, so I am not that committed. But, me trying that is probably better than a donation that will likely see it just junked.

I thought I would post about it here, see if anyone has interest in it beyond a junkyard or a dumb race car project. If nobody does, then I wouldn't feel so bad about either of those alternatives. :)
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: An '88 XR that could be mine, or it could be sold.

Post by my8950 »

Post up some photos...
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I'm afraid that is simply way more trouble than it's worth. Imagine every XR4Ti you've seen abandoned in a driveway and thought "someone should save that" and you know what this car looks like. It's old and worn but it's complete and intact and running.
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

it literally takes less than 10 seconds to snap one pic and about a minute to put it up on imgur and another minute or two to post a reply with the link wrapped in an IMG tag. if a few minutes isnt worth the 100-500+ bucks for the car then the car isn't worth selling... why even make the post in the first place? just sayin.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

If I understand his post correctly, the car is in Santa Rosa, he's in Sacramento, about 100 miles away.
Mark
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

MarkM wrote:If I understand his post correctly, the car is in Santa Rosa, he's in Sacramento, about 100 miles away.
Then he needs to use the zoom function on the phone.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Spaldino wrote:why even make the post in the first place? just sayin.
Kinda what I thought as well after reading the response given. At least I'm not the only one thinking it, but you posted it. Thanks.... :)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Spaldino wrote:it literally takes less than 10 seconds to snap one pic and about a minute to put it up on imgur and another minute or two to post a reply with the link wrapped in an IMG tag. if a few minutes isnt worth the 100-500+ bucks for the car then the car isn't worth selling... why even make the post in the first place? just sayin.
The answer to your question is because if someone cares about the way this car looks, it isn't the car for them. The money it would take to fix the surface rust and shiny up the paint and shore up the interior would far outstrip the cost of just buying a nicer XR4Ti in the first place. OTOH, if someone *doesn't* care about the way the car looks, and wants a track car or a donor car or... doesn't care about the way the car looks then mechanically, it's a reasonable vehicle. I thought I made that clear in the OP, but I guess not. Pics won't tell you static compression or turbo shaft play or the state of anything mechanical so they really aren't of any value.... because the entire value of this vehicle is in the functional, average mechanicals, not the cosmetics.

Why dredge up this thread? Because I guess I'm going to end up with it in my driveway next week.
Hobgoblyn

Post by Hobgoblyn »

Merkur's are like potato chip's; you can't have just one! :headbang
88 Xr4Ti Mono white T5, Stinger, Turbonetics t3t4, Godzilla bov, Evolution w/g, Spearco FMIC, 65mm TB, Roller Cam, 3'' Borla SS exhaust, Superchip SVO EEC, Centerforce Stage II, Sparco seats, Momo wheel, shifter, and pedals, Phantom gauges,Cosworth RS body panels, Euro lights.
86 White/Gray 5 sp Borla short shifter.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

My prediction:

It's going to sit in my driveway for a couple weeks and then I'm going to have the junkyard haul it off or

It's going to sit in my driveway for six months while I strip out the interior and half prep it to be a track car and then I'm going to have the junkyard haul it off

One of the two, for sure.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Barely managed to bring this XR4ti home last night...

It had a hard time starting and idled on less than four cylinders - a couple big backfires were a plenty good indication of that. Eventually it seemed to stabilize, but barely had enough power to get out of the driveway. Once on the road, stops were problematic - lots of slipping clutch and even then acceleration was very poor. The drive home was about two or three miles thankfully, but about 1/2 mile from home I could barely keep it idling. Managing clutch/brake/throttle with only two feet was a fun challenge. About 1/4 mile from home I felt a wave of heat off the center console and I immediately thought the cat caught on fire. I kept going. :lol:

Once in the driveway, I shut it down and looked underneath, I did not see any evidence of the cat overheating, everything looked ok. Probably did melt the cat though.

Not sure what the immediate plan is - I'd like to see if I can get it running right, to get some use out of the 2.3t/T9 combo but obviously it's not useful to put a bunch of work (or money) into it. I am strongly considering putting one of the crappy Gen IV LS-series motors in it - like a 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor. Something cheap and durable. ~300hp NA horsepower would be plenty in a stripped out XR shell, and these motors can be junkyard turbo'd with pretty insane results. These Gen IV blocks weigh between 400 and 450lbs so comparable to the 2.3t once you factor in intercooler/plumbing/etc. A good trade. I considered Ford options, but I deal with packaging concerns in the OHC motors or the limitations of the old pushrod motors. So, it'll be a mutt. ;)

I may drop the tank to install a Walbro pump (replace the dual pump system) since they're cheap, and I can use that pump with another motor. That'll give me an opportunity to drain the tank - if I'm lucky, the issue is just five year old gas. I have no idea when the tank was last filled - but worst case about five years ago. Certainly at least two. I'd also like to dump the cat as I'm pretty sure it's not in good shape after yesterday, but I don't want to replace the whole system right now. Not sure how to do that given the odd shape of the factory cat. Maybe I can get creative with a temporary flex pipe solution. :lol:

As you can see, the car looks good from 30' away, but it's an illusion. The biggest thing working against it surface rust everywhere.

The paint is covered with these little failed areas. Most of the horizontal edges also have rust, same worse than others. This is about average:

It's under every window except the hatch... which is not original to this car. We put an '86 hatch on this '88 many years ago.

I do realize that someone could treat and repaint the car, but it's a lot of effort when the market is tiny and there are cleaner cars already available cheaply. Then you get into the interior:

It's not trashed, but it's completely worn. Every seat is screwed up, there is heavy wear and sun damage on most flat surfaces - dash, window sills, arm rests, etc. On the upside, it only has like 120,000 miles on it, and the engine bay is pretty much 100% original. I think we yanked out the cruise control years and years ago, but that's it.

Someone could drive this car with minimal work (probably!) but finding that buyer would be a lot of work and I'm not going to put in the time or money to get it through smog, pay DMV back fees, etc. in the hope someone pays me back. This car is clearly not too far gone to restore, but it's a solid $5k just to get it to presentable and finding *that* buyer is nigh impossible. I do have some guilt about sacrificing it, but it's better than just going to a junkyard. In the off chance I'm successful, it could be a lot of fun and it would be nice to have a legitimate stress-free track car. Losing 800lbs of crap means needing less brake and less power to have fun - more bang for the buck. ;)

I'll probably start by slowing gutting the interior. I don't think there much worth salvaging there. I'll also keep my eyes out for things I know I'm going to want, like coilovers/shocks/springs... those are real high on the to-do list. :)

Edit: I will add that it was weird driving this car. It's been a LONG time since I've driven a stock XR4Ti. It feels downright luxurious compared to mine. The engine is quiet (no 3" exhaust), the drivetrain is smooth (two piece rubber-insulated driveshaft), the suspension is compliant (no coilovers with race springs and low profile tires). Driving them both back to back you'd swear something is very wrong with mine. :lol:
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

thesameguy wrote: doesn't care about the way the car looks then mechanically, it's a reasonable vehicle. I thought I made that clear in the OP, but I guess not. Pics won't tell you static compression or turbo shaft play or the state of anything mechanical so they really aren't of any value.... because the entire value of this vehicle is in the functional, average mechanicals, not the cosmetics.
I guess everybody has a different idea of "reasonable"...
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I know how you feel. Sometimes I think that the go-fast, really good handling is over-rated. I've got a Borla exhaust that sounded nice on my second car, the three inch is loud. And the low-profile tires make me cringe every pothole I hit. And I do feel every time I let off the gas or get on it with the one-piece driveshaft.

Then I get on it and go around a corner and forget why I was thinking about it.

Although I still wonder how much of a difference there is between a 3" exhaust and a Borla.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Love/LOVE my stock exhaust (thanks Blugg).

And my 205/15 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. Also have them (same size) on my Scorpio.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DAReese wrote:Then I get on it and go around a corner and forget why I was thinking about it.
I end up overdoing all my cars and while sometimes it gets annoying in traffic, any concerns fade quickly into the rearview on the open road. The XR is no different - it's a blast on high speed runs up to Tahoe or Reno. I'd not have it any other way. Such a great car to drive in anger.