Newbie timing belt adjuster question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
fragglejack

Newbie timing belt adjuster question

Post by fragglejack »

I've never changed a timing belt in my life, but I think* I've managed to line it all up properly.
I'm having troubles getting the slack out of the belt on the opposite side of the adjuster.
Does the adjuster need to be tighten where it naturally sits, or does it need some encouragement?

Sorry for such a newbie question.

Craig.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newbie timing belt adjuster question

Post by jkxr4ti »

Hey Craig. Loosen the idler pivot bolt slightly,that's the one the spring wraps around. Next loosen the idler locking bolt which should be a 13mm head. Next use a ratchet on the crank pulley to rotate the engine clockwise to let the slack over to the tensioner side of the belt. Once you've done that you can tighten the two idler bolts. It's always a good idea to double check the timing marks after you've rotated it a couple revolutions as well.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
fragglejack

Re: Newbie timing belt adjuster question

Post by fragglejack »

Thanks!