Virginia emissions and other off the wall questions

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
BLK87S4

Virginia emissions and other off the wall questions

Post by BLK87S4 »

So my job may take me to the DC area. I have an 89 XR that's tastefully modified. So quick question, how strict are Virginia emissions or inspections, etc...? If I move up there what would I have to worry about with an old car like mine? The car has no cats and that scares me a little. We don't have emissions testing in San Antonio.
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Virginia emissions and other off the wall questions

Post by MarkM »

I believe you're exempt from emissions inspections since the vehicle is more than 25 model years old.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/emissions.html

You'll still need to pass safety inspection unless you choose to register it as an antique. Your vehicle could fail this without a visible catalytic converter. See item 17 here: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm
Mark
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

He would not be exempt from emissions even being 25 years or older. The only exemption is antique vehicle. I am a Virginia State inspector and catalytic converter is a requirement. Now, emissions is not done in every part of the state (northern area only), so if you register the vehicle in an area that does not do emission, then that is not a concern.

The problem with registering the vehicle and an antique, is you can only drive the vehicle to and from a car show (up to 250 miles from home address).
Its not what you build, its how you build it.
1988 Merkur XR4TI 393W Turbo Setup
1986 Merkur XR4TI Stock wife's little beater
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

^^...and VA State Troopers are always on the lookout and tough as .... on any/all violations.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

If you leave the NOVA area, slightly west (and probably other areas), there are NO emissions in this area of VA. Also, w/ antique plates, you don't have to do State inspections. edit, already posted :cheers
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
BLK87S4

Post by BLK87S4 »

Thank you for the VA intel! Looks like I will be fitting a cat on the XR if the moves comes through. As for safety inspection, the car is pretty tight and in really good condition for age and mileage. Tires are new, there are no fluid leaks, all lights work, brakes will need some love next year (pads) at current wear rate. With 236K miles, I'm a preventative maintenance freak so I think it'll pass once I fit the cat.
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

foundnemo25 wrote:He would not be exempt from emissions even being 25 years or older. The only exemption is antique vehicle. I am a Virginia State inspector and catalytic converter is a requirement. Now, emissions is not done in every part of the state (northern area only), so if you register the vehicle in an area that does not do emission, then that is not a concern.

The problem with registering the vehicle and an antique, is you can only drive the vehicle to and from a car show (up to 250 miles from home address).
Did you read the link I posted to the VA DMV web site? Quoting from the Exemptions section of the page:
Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality page on the state emissions programs also states emissions inspections are required for vehicles 25 years old and newer in certain localities: http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/Ai ... spx#wvraei
Mark
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Also, while registering your vehicle as an antique does put some restrictions on the allowed usage, it's not quite as bad as stated. Again quoting from the VA DMV site, here are the limitations if you are registered solely as an antique vehicle:
Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:

Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

You may not use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/antique.html

Driving it to and from work is specifically disallowed.
Mark
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

I did not even notice the link you attached. But that is good information pertaining to emissions that I didn't even know.
(We don't have emissions in tidewater area)
MarkM wrote:
foundnemo25 wrote:He would not be exempt from emissions even being 25 years or older. The only exemption is antique vehicle. I am a Virginia State inspector and catalytic converter is a requirement. Now, emissions is not done in every part of the state (northern area only), so if you register the vehicle in an area that does not do emission, then that is not a concern.

Did you read the link I posted to the VA DMV web site? Quoting from the Exemptions section of the page:
Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality page on the state emissions programs also states emissions inspections are required for vehicles 25 years old and newer in certain localities: http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/Ai ... spx#wvraei
Its not what you build, its how you build it.
1988 Merkur XR4TI 393W Turbo Setup
1986 Merkur XR4TI Stock wife's little beater
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MarkM wrote:and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.[/size][/b]
I suspect this one is not very tightly enforced at all. While I realize Virginia is a big state, more often than not, you're probably out of Virginia by the time you're 250 miles away. It's highly unlikely that, for example, a PA trooper is going to enforce VA's weird law.

As for the cat' requirement, it is my understanding that technically, if you delete a cat' from a vehicle which was so equipped from the factory, you are breaking the law. In reality-land, I suspect that most any vehicle with Antique plates can get away without one.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

What anyone who doesn't live in/travel often through NOVA especially is that VA State Troopers give no/no quarter. They certainly wouldn't stop anycar with antique plates just because they observed it...once/twice. But in NOVA almost everyone has to travel on an interstate for at least part way to/from work (of course there are exceptions). If on an interstate (495/395/66/81) and you're observed violating some regulation whatever and are sporting an antique/historic plate especially if observed by a trooper who has seen the same car and plate before, well plan on opening your wallet for more than one citation.

I live in MD; the number of silly ass car owners who sport Historic plates because the cost is something like $40 for two years is amazing ; saw a mid 89's non-descript Volvo wagon yesterday with one...). I DD my cars and continue to pay the regular rates because even in MD I expect if stopped by State or local poleece for any reason a Historic plate would evoke scrutiny that likely wouldn't be swayed by claim of being en route to a car show.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Ed; any antique vehicle needs occasional road testing - always a pleasure ride!
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
MarkM wrote:As for the cat' requirement, it is my understanding that technically, if you delete a cat' from a vehicle which was so equipped from the factory, you are breaking the law. In reality-land, I suspect that most any vehicle with Antique plates can get away without one.
That'd be true, because removing Federally-mandated emissions equipment from a car is a Federal offense. It doesn't matter whether a state has inspections or not, if it was required to be there in the first place by the EPA, it's gotta stay there. States may have additional restrictions - like size, type, certification, etc. - but if originally equipped with an n-way cat, an n-way cat must remain. How you'd get caught, I don't know, but the penalties if you were are quite steep.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

True, and true again. If he goes through inspection w/o it, and it's noticed it would fail. However, w/ antique plates, unless you are doing something stupid---- you should be safe. And, as I've actually did going through inspections in the past- when they were trying to fail me for illegal parts, etc------I always go prove it... ie my glass headlights, 3in exhaust, small dia steering wheel

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
MarkM wrote: As for the cat' requirement, it is my understanding that technically, if you delete a cat' from a vehicle which was so equipped from the factory, you are breaking the law. In reality-land, I suspect that most any vehicle with Antique plates can get away without one.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"