Opinions are like.... 75w90, 80w90, 85w90, 90EP, IDKwIDC

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Opinions are like.... 75w90, 80w90, 85w90, 90EP, IDKwIDC

Post by thesameguy »

Ford specified 90EP gear oil for the diff, but that's mostly non-existent these days, even 85w90 is getting harder to find. 80w90 is generally available, 75w90 is the common solution. There are also some Xw140s out there, they seem like overkill.

I can't think of a good reason not to use a synthetic 75w90.... am I missing anything?
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Opinions are like.... 75w90, 80w90, 85w90, 90EP, IDKwIDC

Post by Spaldino »

i've seen 75w90 mentioned a few times and i finally got around to changing mine yesterday so i used just that. I'm pretty certain what came out of the diff was the oil that it came with from the factory... looked like coffee that was sitting on a heating plate for 8 hours. gross.

I don't put a lot of miles on my car and none of them are in anger so that should be good enough until i replace it again when i get an LSD....
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I did the diff on my dd about a year ago, pretty sure it was the first time ever as the sealant on the cover looked factory. Scary that it took 30 years and 300,000 miles. Same story in this one, except only 110,000 miles. ;)

I did more reading on Sierra and Locost forums, and there is no consensus it seems... except that straight 90 isn't available. On my dd last year I used Mobil 1 75w90; this time I debated between Redline Shockproof and Amsoil 75w90 Severe Duty. In the end I went with the latter.

One other thing - when I did my dd I got the advice to use RTV to seal it back up, but after having taken two apart I know that is not the right amswer. The proper stuff is going to be a flange sealant, like Loctite 518. I had some Permatex Permashield, which is essentially rebranded Hylomar Blue so I used that. I may redo my dd with Amsoil and Permashield... or like you I may just let it ride til I go in for that LSD. ;)

Edit: Also, wow, changing the diff oil is a LOT easier without a pesky fuel tank in the way. With the car on jack stands I could basically sit under the spare tire well and work in a comfortable position. ;)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

FWIW:

I was working on the fuel pump when I noticed the diff cover was looking particularly nasty.

There was never gonna be a better time for me to deal with that. Popped the cover off and had one ugly, old diff. I suspect the vent tube may have become dislodged or clogged and let moisture get trapped in there. Not nearly as bad as the Falcon (which some of you may recall), but certainly not good.

I cleaned it out as best I could and let it drain overnight, then cleaned everything up and put it back together. It's cleaner now, and I used a little RTV to (hopefully) seal the vent tube in place... it's old and probably a bit shrunken. it seemed secure when I last looked at it. :)