Oil leak

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
fragglejack

Oil leak

Post by fragglejack »

Drove to the inspection station, opened the hood and there was oil everywhere. It's on the right side of the engine, dripping down off the hood at the back. I've changed the oil seal on the breather and the rocker box cover, but I still think it's coming out of the breather under pressure. I drove home between 2/3k keeping off the boost and no oil spill occurred!

Any clues?

Craig.

Edit (Just read in a forum post that it maybe coming out of the dipstick pipe under load)
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Oil leak

Post by Mike McCreight »

Still using the cheezy factory oil feed to the turbo? They can develop hairline cracks that open under higher rpm/oil pressure.
Same for the oil pressure sender, if that's still in play.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

it also goes without saying not to drive the car like that. hot turbo and oil spray = fire.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Check the pressure sender, I had a leak from it since it split down the middle.
Oil was pouring out of it, not hard to find.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Using a Motorcraft PCV? All the rest are junk... this is a common issue.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbar »

My friend's XR4ti burned to the ground because the oil feed to the turbo sprang a leak and sprayed oil on the exhaust manifold.

Two weeks ago, my oil return line from the turbo on my XR4ti sprang a leak and began spraying oil on the exhaust manifold. I stopped driving it before it could catch on fire.

The high turbo boost of these cars pressurizes the crankcase and makes leaks from any weak spot very common. And leaking oil on a hot manifold makes engine fires a real hazard.

The lesson is to periodically check for oil leaks and fix any you find immediately. Make sure your PCV valve is working properly and check it every 10,000 miles.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

I've had an oil pressure switch gush oil...PCV is always a good & cheap thing to change (Ford only)

I'm definitely gonna check my turbo oil supply lines now I've seen this thread!!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.