R&D Hazard Switch stock replacement

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
RoninWolf
Level 1
Level 1

R&D Hazard Switch stock replacement

Post by RoninWolf »

Got a turn stock with the common hazard switch issue. Over time, I hope to find a way to fix this issue with a future kit.
Comments and/or pictures of your broke switch will help in figuring it out, as well as brainstorming on such things as a good mini latching mechanism and such.

First Look Notes
From the basic strip down, the two stock springs are way too strong on the plastic housing. Best way I would think of preserving the few still intact is to replace these springs with similar ones, with a combined spring rate of one of the original ones. This should take unneeded tension off the latching mechanism and preserve it from breaking under stress.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: R&D Hazard Switch stock replacement

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

For a long-term solution, I think you need to look at replacing the whole sub-assembly. Brian Hart came out with some sort of solution I think.
Brad
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I assume you are talking about the infamous cruise stalk.

I have a bad one that's cosmetically perfect and a less good looking one that is excellent mechanically (Thanks, Mike!).
Hopefully that one lasts a long time.

But if someone ever comes up with a fix, I'm buying for sure.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I think someone has at least posted a workaround, so that you can bypass the hazard switch in the stalk.

I also seem to recall Bill in Boulder telling me he had a fix for the stalks, but I need to talk to him again. He's on the e-mail list.

I have 3 cruise stalks that need repair, along with at least one no-cruise.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I posted a bypass for the stock hazard switch a while back. 2 Bosch relays, 2 diodes and a recycled dash switch can get you rid of the hazard mess forever. Craig Madsen just sent me a cruise version of the switch assembly to R and R. I'll report back on that as I've never tried to disassemble the cruise switch.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

If you can find a European stalk has a round flasher button, use it, it is much sturdier and a direct replacement
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

JimG wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm If you can find a European stalk has a round flasher button, use it, it is much sturdier and a direct replacement
X 2.
I got one of these, and it's very nice.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

JimG wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm If you can find a European stalk has a round flasher button, use it, it is much sturdier and a direct replacement
Not gonna work for me. My car is all original and must remain that way.
If someone invents a solution that is visually original, I am a buyer.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

The most common failure of any if not all stalks that fail is the white plastic hazard button tower (the guts)...it disintegrates. Its not the springs, its not the wiring, its not the arm (sometimes the cancel feature), its not the high beam flash function, its not the contacts, its not even the body of the switch itself. The hazard button frame (usually white or opaque in color) is the piece that needs reproduced in modern materials preferably with UV inhibitors. This will bring back those dead stalks with a new lease on life for probably under $15 an some time to R&R.

Now at this time there isnt any being reproduced, however the need is real an that wont change moving forward. So possibly in late 2018 this may come into fruition, till then merkurmidwest.com has some good used non-cruise units and euro units on hand, at the ready.
Jeff
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

eaton53 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 am
Not gonna work for me. My car is all original and must remain that way.
If someone invents a solution that is visually original, I am a buyer.
Only a few people would even notice the difference, especially if you change the other switch as well.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

So who has the unbroken white plastic bit removed from a stalk that can be measured ad reproduced?
blugg wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 pm The most common failure of any if not all stalks that fail is the white plastic hazard button tower (the guts)...it disintegrates. Its not the springs, its not the wiring, its not the arm (sometimes the cancel feature), its not the high beam flash function, its not the contacts, its not even the body of the switch itself. The hazard button frame (usually white or opaque in color) is the piece that needs reproduced in modern materials preferably with UV inhibitors. This will bring back those dead stalks with a new lease on life for probably under $15 an some time to R&R.

Now at this time there isnt any being reproduced, however the need is real an that wont change moving forward. So possibly in late 2018 this may come into fruition, till then merkurmidwest.com has some good used non-cruise units and euro units on hand, at the ready.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

milehighXR wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:39 pm So who has the unbroken white plastic bit removed from a stalk that can be measured ad reproduced?

I probably have one...