Engine problems

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Reaper1266

Engine problems

Post by Reaper1266 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having some issies and was wondering if anyone could have advice/ help or suggestions. I have aquired and am now the proud owner of an '87 Xr4Ti. I love the car and want to see it back to its former glory, mind you this has seen waaaaaayyy better days. (little backstory) My dad was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY when he was in the Army and picked up the car for $500 from a local guy. It ran and drove beautifully and I fell in love and bought it from my dad for $1 for my first car when I turned 16. When I bought the car it had started having issues. Running slow, lagging, overheating and couldn't figure out why. Did some work. Fixed things here and there, never anything to serious. Finally we get to where I am now, I went and picked up the vehicle from my parents house after getting out of BMT/Techschool and getting to my Duty Station and it would not start. Had fuel lines cleaned, compression tests done ( 1&2- no reading, 3-112, 4-125) and the vehicle would not hold an idle. I finaly got it back to the house and have slowly been picking my way through this poor thing. Half the parts are seized together and break when attempted to be taken off and the other half are fine. I finally got the head cover off, everything looked beautiful and I was genuinly surprised with how good it looked. After fighting with the oil supply tube for the turbo and eventually breaking that too I was able to get the Head off the Block and this is what I found and need help with.
https://imgur.com/6BEfqN2
https://imgur.com/bN99u4c
https://imgur.com/6Qi1Wjm
https://imgur.com/BueXe0d
Is this repairable at all???
If no, Can a 87 Ranger 2.3 head be swapped in or not due to this being a turbo engine?
If no, Does anyone know of a place I can get a head for a decent price?

Mind you I am active duty and honestly dont make enough to throw money out like its candy on Halloween with my other vehicles and bills. If I did i would honestly probably take it to a shop and have the entire interior and body redone and then swap it with an entire different engine. I just need help to see if anyone knows how to fix this.

Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Engine problems

Post by Matt01 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am

can a blown headgasket be repaired? yes easily. clean up all the crap off both sides, go pick up a fel pro #8993 slap it back together and bob's your uncle.

Cant really tell from the pictures, but is the head cracked? again common problem with these cars you can probably pick up a good used from a junkyard merkur, thunderbird turbo coupe, or mustang SVO only. Or I'm sure someone here can supply you with a good used head.

The turbo supply line break, that's a new one, never saw that before, but soak it in some PB Blaster, and tomorrow I would heat it a little and try a bolt extracter. I would invest the 60$ or so dollars and get the Stinger Performance stainless one, it's a really nice product and eliminates the headaches from that OEM garbage.

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Get the head over to a machine shop and have it tested - it's the only way you can know what it needs.

An EZ Out may work on the oil line - soak it in Kroil for several days and then try an ez out. If you're concerned, take it to the machine shop too and let them have a go.

Reaper1266

Post by Reaper1266 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Matt01 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am
can a blown headgasket be repaired? yes easily. clean up all the crap off both sides, go pick up a fel pro #8993 slap it back together and bob's your uncle.

Cant really tell from the pictures, but is the head cracked? again common problem with these cars you can probably pick up a good used from a junkyard merkur, thunderbird turbo coupe, or mustang SVO only. Or I'm sure someone here can supply you with a good used head.

The turbo supply line break, that's a new one, never saw that before, but soak it in some PB Blaster, and tomorrow I would heat it a little and try a bolt extracter. I would invest the 60$ or so dollars and get the Stinger Performance stainless one, it's a really nice product and eliminates the headaches from that OEM garbage.
No, the head isnt cracked, just has a pretty nice sized dip between cylinder 1&2 (where the no read was) the gasket I have. I am just trying to see if the head can be replaced with a ranger 2.3 head but idk because I know there are some issues when swapping noturbo heads into turbo engines.

my8950
Level 4
Level 4

Post by my8950 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Not sure about the head with that canyon between the cylinders.
Curious how that would really happen?
Is it head gasket stuck to the head? I thought at first, but looking at it, it seems that the iron is gone leaving you with the dip in there.
It will have to be cut, and that looks like quite a bit based on the photos.

Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 pm

my8950 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm
Not sure about the head with that canyon between the cylinders.
Curious how that would really happen?
Is it head gasket stuck to the head? I thought at first, but looking at it, it seems that the iron is gone leaving you with the dip in there.
It will have to be cut, and that looks like quite a bit based on the photos.
in those images the gasket is definetly still stuck on the head. that needs to come off.

scotch brite it down so it's real clean and take some new pictures please.

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 am

The head gasket is still on there, but the gasket is blown out between 2 cylinders and also missing a chunk of the bottom of the head in that area too.
Out of 100+ XR4Ti's I have had my hands on I have only seen this happen one time on a 1989 auto XR4Ti - cause unknown, I bought the car with a "bad engine".

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:06 am

I've seen one VERY similar to that here too.
It was run for quite some time with a known issue. :?
Replaced head, gasket, and it went on to run fine until it met it's demise from other abuse related problems.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!

reddy2300
Level 2
Level 2

Post by reddy2300 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Why can't people just answer the man's question?

Yes, you can use a Ranger/Mustang head on the turbo engine. Most people will tell you that you can't because it raises the compression. It's actually only about a half a point increase so it will be ok. I did that a few years back and actually noticed a small improvement in off idle torque.
1987 5-speed XR4ti-70K mile "barn find", Rosso Red, Grant wheel, short throw shifter, PE/big VAM, 255lph pump, 3" exhaust w/Magnaflow, MD "shorty" radiator/IC, "Pony" wheels, Koni Yellow, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Gillis valve,