Source for brake booster grommet?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Source for brake booster grommet?

Post by thesameguy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Is there? :)

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Source for brake booster grommet?

Post by thesameguy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

The answer to this question, for those playing at home, is Yes. It's exactly the same as the grommet in a Saab 9-3 1999-03, 9-5 1999-09, and 900 1994-98. Part #4836680.

I'm betting like so many ATE products there is a LOT of interchangeability. In fact, I'd wager the calipers from a Saab will bolt onto an XR4Ti too. I know earlier 900 calipers were (tried that) and I'm betting later ones will too.

Anywho, very excited about this. Solves a huge problem for me.

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Good find! Were you getting a vacuum leak around that grommet or noticing some wierd brake behavior?
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Actually, neither. It was a rabbit hole. :) My check valve seemed odd - very restrictive to suck through. Since the check valve is connected to the booster with plastic tube, the only real way to replace the valve is to damage that tube - yeah, I have had some luck with heat guns but what a chore. Since the valve was being replaced and the tube was being replaced, I wanted a simpler replacement than 1/4" tube, a 1/4" to 5/16" (IIRC) check valve, and then 5/16" to 3/8" hose to the intake manifold (disregarding the vacuum tree). I didn't want to remove the nipple from the booster without knowing I could replace the grommet if something went bad - it is quite hard from age. In the end I caved, used a heat gun to soften the grommet, then removed the nipple and the grommet. I happen to have a 2002 9-3 parts car, so I compared.

I replaced the grommet with a new one, the nipple with one from a 9-3, the check valve from a Volvo all connect straight across to the intake manifold with 3/8" silicone hose. I will deal with the vacuum tree next, but not having to change hose sizes multiple times was the key to the operation. ;)