focus recaro seats

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
badbrad692

focus recaro seats

Post by badbrad692 »

hey guys
while searching for aftermarket seats i came across some focus recaro seats, has anyone tried to install focus recaro seats in a xr4ti?
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Re: focus recaro seats

Post by Matt01 »

first off, are they power adjustable? I have sat in them, but dont remember.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I think it depends on which Focus you get.

IIRC, the stock seats in the XR were manufactured by Recaro... At least so said the tag on mine when I had them out.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

milehighXR wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:27 pm I think it depends on which Focus you get.

IIRC, the stock seats in the XR were manufactured by Recaro... At least so said the tag on mine when I had them out.
mine had a tag too, i believe maybe just the tracks were made by them. If the seats were made by them Ford must have demanded for them to make a really crappy set of seats for this car, unlike any other Recaros I am aware of.

The only focus that came with the Recaros is the ST.
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

The Gen 1 EAP SVTFs came with Recaros, as do all current gen STs, Fiesta STs and of course the Focus RS.
The Gen 1 SVTF seats by themselves (non EAP) would be a great improvement over the stock seats as well.
'87 XR4Ti - Blue Grey Metallic - Moonroof - All Original - 98K mi
'16 GT350 - Triple Yellow - Black OTS - Lund Tuned
'17 Focus RS - Stealth Grey - FR Tuned
'05 S2000 - Suzuka Blue - All Original - 34k mi
'02 A4 3.0 Quattro - Light Silver - All Original - 68K mi
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

GT350RS wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm The Gen 1 EAP SVTFs came with Recaros, as do all current gen STs, Fiesta STs and of course the Focus RS.
The Gen 1 SVTF seats by themselves (non EAP) would be a great improvement over the stock seats as well.
Not sure about all those acronyms, but the Recaro seats in the Focus/Fiesta ST's are optional. Reviews are mixed as to their comfort and desirability among owners.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

SVTF - SVT Focus - Standard seat with high bolsters, blue or red cloth with leather trim
EAP - European Appearance Package - All leather Recaros

In the STs, you had the ST1 - ST2 - ST3 packages. All seats were Recaro made. The difference was whether or not they were skinned in leather and had the ability to be heated (ST3).

The the RS they're trimmed in leather with Alantara.

I would have to agree on comfort for the ST/RS - They're extremely stiff. If it were a track car, they're great. For street use (especially if you're wider than the average European) they can get annoying. It's been years since I sat in a Gen 1 with the Recaros but what I remember of them wasn't much different than the standard SVTF seats which were great.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

The Focus ST seat for 2017 MY fit me like a glove :mrgreen:

I have seen the ST seat on Ebay or even local CL.

The biggest complaint I've seen from the magazine reviewers it the "high H" seating position that Ford uses. Apparently it makes it easier for old people to get in and out of the car. I did not notice this with the Focus ST I test drove late last year. It was noticeably lower and harder to get in and out than my vanilla Fiesta. Or even my XR...
Johnny

DCLXVI
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

Interesting...I'd say my experience is reversed of this...That isn't to say I dislike them, just that the other cars have a lower entry than my RS, and in the RS I feel like I'm sitting more on top of something than in the vehicle...Especially compared to my GT350 or S2000...I suppose that's just indicative of the car's econocar roots...
Sburke

Post by Sburke »

See if the EVO 8 Recaro will fit. Non power
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

GT350RS wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:38 pm Interesting...I'd say my experience is reversed of this...That isn't to say I dislike them, just that the other cars have a lower entry than my RS, and in the RS I feel like I'm sitting more on top of something than in the vehicle...Especially compared to my GT350 or S2000...I suppose that's just indicative of the car's econocar roots...
Just sat in the RS seats last night, after the battery in my wife's Edge went out (they replaced it free under warranty). I agree with you in re the seating position, which is about the same in the FiST. For a true sports car-like experience (or in competition), you'd want to be hunkered down (Vic Elford, an old-school Porsche Endurance driver who wrote a book about racing driving, always maintained that one should be low in the car to lower the cg and get a better feel for what the car was doing), but what I find is that the higher, more-forward seating position in the Hot Hatch cars lends itself well to better visibility, especially in traffic, and especially given the ponderous pachyderms one is most likely competing against... er, I mean, "sharing the road with," helps find those holes, and keep tabs on your surroundings as you do your Barry Sanders thing on the freeway. So, given the course for the horse, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

That's definitely true John,

Even when racing that car, I didn't find the seating position offensive or at a disadvantage, it just takes a little getting used to I think, in fact I'd even admit I can see the cones better! lol...To be honest, I'm not so sure it isn't more of a matter of seating position relative to the shifter position that throws it off for me. I had a '14 Focus ST and it was an identical feeling, so no changes in the car's postion between those models/years.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I have a spare base focus seat here, so I could take a look at the bolt pattern on the seat. You'd likely need to use the feet from the XR seat tracks. Using the entire track assembly usually results in a seat that is set up too high.

Do the Focus Recaros have airbags? Obviously they could be left un-powered, but I'd hate the idea of all that extra bulk and weight. I assume that they are power-adjustable, yes?
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am I assume that they are power-adjustable, yes?
The one I test drove was. I think they all are, but don't know for sure. I know that the RS has power seats as standard IIRC. It doesn't seem like you can take much out of a production car these days(IOW everything is standard it seems).

For giggles I configured a Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost, and you can't order it with leather :cry: Just like the FiST. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.
Johnny

DCLXVI
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

milehighXR wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 am
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am I assume that they are power-adjustable, yes?
The one I test drove was. I think they all are, but don't know for sure. I know that the RS has power seats as standard IIRC. It doesn't seem like you can take much out of a production car these days(IOW everything is standard it seems).

For giggles I configured a Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost, and you can't order it with leather :cry: Just like the FiST. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

you can configure an ecoboost premium with leather recaros.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.