LS swap ideas...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

LS swap ideas...

Post by Longitudinal »

I have again been kicking around engine swap ideas for my 89 XR4Ti. Since the engine isn’t original, I might as well go nuts.

I have considered a lot of swaps, including Audi I5 since they can make astounding amounts of power and I know them very well, but putting a good RWD transmission behind one is exhorbitantly expensive.

All engine swap roads seem to lead back to LS. They are relatively inexpensive and plentiful, reliable, and make enough power in stock form to scatter any 7.5” diff I put in the car.

I know this has been done before at least once, but I haven’t found much solid information on the swap. There was a red car that showed a lot of firewall cutting, but I think that was because he wanted to scoot the engine aft in the car.

Let’s skip the basic stuff. I am an experienced fabricator who is well capable of making new motor mounts and building an exhaust system.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LS swap ideas...

Post by Mike McCreight »

Find Brett, he's BTDT.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

Mike McCreight wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 am Find Brett, he's BTDT.
No such username here.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Thanks, John. :cheers
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:34 pm Thanks, John. :cheers
We do what we can. Look at what you have done, all these years... :cheers
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

Thanks for the replies so far. I am digging into options now. I can't view any of the photobucket pics. :(
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

That's why I included the Merkurtech link.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

John Brennan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 am That's why I included the Merkurtech link.
Yes, thank you. The photos there are very descriptive. Is it only photos there for the swap?

Is Brett not around here anymore?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Those are all I know of. I don't see Brett on here much, but he's active on the FB page.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

I am still around.. :headbang :headbang
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

John Brennan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm Those are all I know of. I don't see Brett on here much, but he's active on the FB page.
I'm still waiting to be approved to join the FB page.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

LS2XR4 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:19 pm I am still around.. :headbang :headbang
That's super.

Other than modifying the subframe and cutting the core support for the intake, did you have to cut the body?

What differential does your car have? I am considering the GM 7.5" since I am not a drag racer and have no intention of exceeding 400HP/ft-lb.

Was the LS's PS pump pressure suitable for the Ford rack? I am considering converting the steering rack to manual to simplify the swap and accessory drive.

Any tips before I dig into this?
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

I just welded all the seams in and around the cross member and added the mount perches.

As far as body cutting I was able to re shape without any cutting. I did run a t-56 and I was able to get the bellhousing to clear.
What trans are you gonna use? I would think using a quicktime bellhousing would save some beating of the tunnel though.

Air intake cutting I did was for the factory tube. I was (trying to ca smog legal it) so I was forced to use the stock tube. I think maybe some tighter throttle body bends could be had by now, so you wont have to cut the rad support.

From what I was reading on the pressure difference but the gm rack required lower pressure than the ford. I believe it was a 150 psi difference.
felt fine. no complaints , no issue. I did tap the rack and fit - an adapters on the rack and ran teflon lined braided hose to gm pump.

I was running a 8.8 irs modified in the stock beam
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

LS2XR4 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 am I just welded all the seams in and around the cross member and added the mount perches.

As far as body cutting I was able to re shape without any cutting. I did run a t-56 and I was able to get the bellhousing to clear.
What trans are you gonna use?
Probably 4L60E to start and a 4L80E later. It's an automatic car as it is, so I am thinking to keep it auto, at least for now.
I would think using a quicktime bellhousing would save some beating of the tunnel though.
That's possible. Where did you have to hammer the tunnel?
Air intake cutting I did was for the factory tube. I was (trying to ca smog legal it) so I was forced to use the stock tube. I think maybe some tighter throttle body bends could be had by now, so you wont have to cut the rad support.
I can do whatever I need with the intake system and the intake manifold itself as well.
I was running a 8.8 irs modified in the stock beam
As strange as it may sound, I am trying to limit the scope of welding and fab work required for this project. I can weld anything to anything, but I have learned my lesson from eterna-projects. I want to take this car in steps. I wonder if I can get away with the GM 7.5" posi swap if I am not drag racing the car. The other option if JVL's Supra conversion, but I don't know if he is around anymore.