Narrow radiator instead of shorty...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Narrow radiator instead of shorty...

Post by Longitudinal »

I'm considering buying or building a radiator that allows the charge tubes routing to and from the intercooler to go beside the rad instead of over top of it like a shorty. I have not gone out to measure yet.

Thoughts? I can weld anything I need to. I would actually prefer a tankless radiator core if anybody knows where to go for one. Finding intercooler cores seems to be much easier, but it is much easier to find and fit a completely built intercooler than it is for a complete radiator.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Narrow radiator instead of shorty...

Post by thesameguy »

You'd want to measure to be sure of what you're gaining or losing, but conceptually I think it's a good idea. That is how most cars with factory FMICs are done, often with trapezoidal end tanks to maximize the surface area. I am definitely going to need to replace my shorty at some point - if I can before summer - and this is one of the avenues I wanted to pursue.

Customizable radiator cores are indeed hard to find - I think that's why the MD radiator is (I believe) based on an intercooler core. I don't know what kind of minimum volume is needed, but I know the folks at Champion Radiator have done on-demand radiators for other cars. I had intended to talk to them when the time is right. I'd definitely be interested in what you find.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

Right, and I don't mind losing a little volume and/or surface area if I have to, but I think I can get away with an increase at least in volume if not volume and area. I want to be able to use dirt cheap and wide temp selection VW fan switches mounted inside the rad tank.

I would be surprised if an intercooler core made a good rad core.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I believe you are correct - both radiator shops I have had modify the MD radiator commented that it's not the most efficient configuration for fluid:air. I've not had any actual problems and it does a *fine* job even in NorCal summer heat, but it's insufficient for my mountain climbing past time. It's been on my to-do list for a long time, but last summer was very warm and I made an unusual number of trips up to Tahoe so it's still fresh in my mind. Nothing ruins a nice drive like aborting a pass due to skyrocketing engine temps. ;) Plus, I wanna have a solution if/when I actually get this track car built. I was gonna use a radiator from a 9-3 (since that's where the engine will be coming from) but inexplicably the radiators for manual transmission cars are $400 vs. the $120 for automatics... I'm not spending $400 on a stock radiator. That's insane.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

What would make the manual unit necessary?

Stay tuned. If my solution is finished in time to help you, maybe I can build an extra copy for you.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Nothing, except some (unused) ports for the transmission cooler and a slight resultant loss of volume. :)
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

thesameguy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm
Customizable radiator cores are indeed hard to find - I think that's why the MD radiator is (I believe) based on an intercooler core. I don't know what
Our original radiators were indeed made with a bar / plate intercooler core. Our new radiators are made with a tube / fin radiator core.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

That's really good to know - thanks!

Depending on how this alternative project goes, I may very well give one of the new ones a shot!
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

thesameguy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 pm Nothing, except some (unused) ports for the transmission cooler and a slight resultant loss of volume. :)
That's just a squirt in the ocean. If you feel like dumping more heat into the coolant, plumb motor oil through it.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Do it! I think it would be cool to shorten it up allowing more room for piping.
Considering the way the cars make heat, I'm pretty confident one could get away with a smaller rad.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pmThat's just a squirt in the ocean. If you feel like dumping more heat into the coolant, plumb motor oil through it.
I've already got a sizeable Setrab cooler up front - oil temps are excellent.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

thesameguy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm
Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pmThat's just a squirt in the ocean. If you feel like dumping more heat into the coolant, plumb motor oil through it.
I've already got a sizeable Setrab cooler up front - oil temps are excellent.
That wasn't quite my point. My tongue in cheek point was that you could ignore the trans cooling lines and save money.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

thesameguy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm You'd want to measure to be sure of what you're gaining or losing, but conceptually I think it's a good idea. That is how most cars with factory FMICs are done, often with trapezoidal end tanks to maximize the surface area. I am definitely going to need to replace my shorty at some point - if I can before summer - and this is one of the avenues I wanted to pursue.

Customizable radiator cores are indeed hard to find - I think that's why the MD radiator is (I believe) based on an intercooler core. I don't know what kind of minimum volume is needed, but I know the folks at Champion Radiator have done on-demand radiators for other cars. I had intended to talk to them when the time is right. I'd definitely be interested in what you find.
Ellet Radiator fairly close to Mike still does custom work. The only problem is they do autos on an as time is available status now. I talked to the owner about repairing my Hartwood radiator, but didn't want to have it down for an extended period. Now that I got a MD shorty replacement, I can finally get to that with little risk of having it sit for a while.

http://elletradiator.com/services/
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I have a couple shops locally that will do custom work - the guys that modified my MD radiator and faux Cossie intercooler are great - but I mentioned Champion because they seem interested & able to cook up a design and knock out 20 copies or so. My local guys - B&M - would do one, but they just don't have the facilities to "productize" a concept.

I may throw in the towel and just do a Cossie clone radiator since it's the *other* easy button (MD option being the first/best). We'll see how rich & how desperate I am once the chill is past. ;)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

In all candor, I can't think of any reason why this would be better than the readily-available option. Over-the-top leaves you with a full-width radiator, and allows for full sealing of the perimeter of the radiator opening with minimal fuss-- plus, it leaves you the choice of keeping your A/C condenser with a 2WD Cossie-style IC, or a deeper, RS500-style IC, your choice.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost