Clutches

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Clutches

Post by Longitudinal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm

What recommendations would you all make for upgraded clutches? Has SPEC fixed its quality problems from a few years ago? Phoenix? Centerforce?

Let's say 400lb-ft limit on a street car.

John V
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Clutches

Post by John V » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Spec didn't change the spring--the diaphragm..sop rellay no increased clamping force..400 ft/lbs Hmmmm I'd use Kennedy Engineering Stage 4 228mm pressure plate and a 4 or 6 puck sinter puck thing..

It'd call for a different bolt circle and some sort of stand-offs to get the height right..6 bolys on a equidistant bolt circle...
Fortunately...there IS some guy around that does those, and I hear he even made some steel flywheels since cast iron can ----and sometimes does--explode.

Now, as usual you didn't say how you're doing 400 ft/lbs, and how the car will be used or you budget..
Because 400 ft/lbs is a LOT and it will be expensive period and harder if you want to Oh say..drive it on the road..

Why not come back and invest some time typing some details so the answers can be tailored better???
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/

Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:28 pm

John V wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm
Spec didn't change the spring--the diaphragm..sop rellay no increased clamping force..400 ft/lbs Hmmmm I'd use Kennedy Engineering Stage 4 228mm pressure plate and a 4 or 6 puck sinter puck thing..

It'd call for a different bolt circle and some sort of stand-offs to get the height right..6 bolys on a equidistant bolt circle...
Fortunately...there IS some guy around that does those, and I hear he even made some steel flywheels since cast iron can ----and sometimes does--explode.

Now, as usual you didn't say how you're doing 400 ft/lbs, and how the car will be used or you budget..
Because 400 ft/lbs is a LOT and it will be expensive period and harder if you want to Oh say..drive it on the road..

Why not come back and invest some time typing some details so the answers can be tailored better???
A highly typical John V response... I didn't know you had read and responded enough of my posts to have the data to say "as usual."

Notice please that I said "limit," not "goal."

John, save yourself some typing and don't bother responding to my posts.

m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 am

AP do a clutch kit for the Sierra and RS 500,CP2015-9, 6 paddle ceremetallic good to 351ft lbs, they say not recommended for street use but with the possibility of 400ftlbs nothing is going to be the unicorn clutch...
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
1986 XR4Ti soon to be rally car.

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Take a look at stinger performance. They have some good kits that go up to 400 ish torque.

http://www.stinger-performance.com/suspensionparts.html

http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ulti ... u=00003314

I bought mine from pyropete125 over on turboford. It's comparable to the stage 4 on stingers site. It's a solid 4puck sintered bronze disk and higher clamp load pressure plate. It's been very reliable. Definitely takes a bit of getting used to and not for someone looking for a mild clutch. That being said my car is mainly a street car and I have no issues with the clutch. On the dyno it listed about 315 wheel torque.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 pm

jkxr4ti wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm
Take a look at stinger performance. They have some good kits that go up to 400 ish torque.
Stinger's pics are of SPEC clutches.