Thinking about getting into XR4's

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Thinking about getting into XR4's

Post by eaton53 »

Matt01 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:34 pmIt does seem like the 88's -89's are less problematic for some reason
Start by looking at this.
Older:
Newer:

They took all of the cooling stuff and moved it to the driver's side. My '85 cooked just about everything that was on the passenger side.
I learned to keep stuff in the back to make emergency repairs to electrical and plumbing that got fried.
I think I replaced just about every hose that was over there and the car wasn't even that old.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

ya there were the coolant changes, but you could easily convert any year to an 89 style with a cosworth rad and 89 bottle, or a fancy aluminum bottle if someone ever makes some.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Matt01 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 pm ya there were the coolant changes, but you could easily convert any year to an 89 style with a cosworth rad and 89 bottle, or a fancy aluminum bottle if someone ever makes some.
I did it with my '85-- all you need is the jug. The rest is just some small hoses. Big improvement over the old, frankly over-engineered, system.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost