Air Filter Surface Area

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Air Filter Surface Area

Post by cmouta »

As a numbers guy, I always like to double check age old wisdom and thought I'd share my math for fun. Occasionally I'll see a teeny BOMZ filter or something on a car and think that can't possibly be better than stock. Decided to crunch numbers on my own filter and answer my own question(cool air ducting, notwithstanding)

Stock k&n drop in specs:

Height: 4.25"
Short distance of elipse:5.06"
Long distance of elipse: 7.875"
using this calculator:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html
gives me a perimeter of 20.79" so 20.79 x 4.25 = 88.36"^2

using this easy calculator for a 6" base, 4" top, 6" tall cone(K&N rE-0930)
https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/vol ... cated-cone
lateral A = 118.9"^2, a 34% increase in surface area!

For reference, the sierra cosworth stock intake k&n drop in is 11.125" x 10.438" panel filter with an A of 116.12"^2
That'd be a nice factory upgrade for you '89 guys(after you ditch the vam of course)

Again, just surface areas and just killing time at work before i head home :cheers
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Air Filter Surface Area

Post by thesameguy »

That's neat! Thanks for sharing!

I need to go measure my K&N (well, it's an AEM, but whatever). It's a cone that's 6" at some point in its diameter... I know that because 6" is my biggest hole saw, and that's the size of the hole I cut in the body to pass the filter through. :D
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

thesameguy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm That's neat! Thanks for sharing!

I need to go measure my K&N (well, it's an AEM, but whatever). It's a cone that's 6" at some point in its diameter... I know that because 6" is my biggest hole saw, and that's the size of the hole I cut in the body to pass the filter through. :D
Hmmm, when I did that trick, I cut a 3.5" hole, ran a grommet around the (paint-sealed) edge, then put the 3" hose down through the top (it fit nice and snugly) to meet a 3" K&N mounted from below in front of the wheel well.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I considered something like that, but more than a few times here in Sacramento I've found myself having to drive through some pretty deep water - like a foot or so. Although I'm talking about maybe once every five years or so, and maybe once ever while I happened to be driving the XR, I just didn't want to create a situation where I'm either stuck on one side or shopping for a new engine. I keep my air filters headlight height!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Ah, so you went sideways-- I thought you were doing the old, air-filter-through-the-fender mod. :idea:

We get some pretty torrential rains/flooding here in The PHX, but I never had any issues. The filter was right up tight against the bulkhead, and my liners were in good shape.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Ah, yeah - I basically went right out where the factory inlet to the air box is... just much larger, and rounder. :)