TC brake conversion

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

TC brake conversion

Post by abomb1982 »

I ve been searching for just a little bit now and I know I've seen a whole write up on this but of course now that I'm ready to move forward and do it I can't find what i need. anyone have the link to the parts list to do the TC rear brake conversion? I have the adapter already. I feel bad even asking.
XR'd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: TC brake conversion

Post by XR'd »

I got my info from key-ideas.com, but I see now the site is no longer running. You can also try merkurencyclopedia.com.
86 Xr4ti - 40bob Ported Intake, 1.5 Bo-Port Cam, Ported Head, Garrett FMIC, GN T3 Hybrid, Custom Merkur Depot Downpipe, 3" Exhaust.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

You need 87-88 TC rear calipers ( w/ pads) and 87-88 TC rotors, adapter plates, braided lines from Manotick Mike or Blugg and a solution for the rear parking brake cable.
I have a set of nice used TC rear calipers with pads here FYI if you need calipers
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yeah, it's all pretty self explanatory once the parts are in your hand.

The handbrake cable just needs to be shortened, which you can do in a few different ways. When I did mine, the most professional way was to have a shop with the right tools hack a few inches off and crimp on a new ferrule. Today, you can buy a crimping kit off Amazon for not much money and DIY. ;)
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abomb1982 »

In doing my research prepping for the conversion, I have come across info that, instead of gutting the proportioning valve you can swap in the turbo coupes booster and master cylinder. my question is, will it bolt right in? if not what is involved to do so?
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I have not heard of that and am not sure how it would work... the fox body has a fairly different firewall & pedal setup.

David Godfrey made an adapter to put a SuperCoupe master cylinder on the late XR4Ti booster, but that's the only swap I am familiar with.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

abomb1982 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 pm In doing my research prepping for the conversion, I have come across info that, instead of gutting the proportioning valve you can swap in the turbo coupes booster and master cylinder. my question is, will it bolt right in? if not what is involved to do so?
As alluded to in the post above, I think you're confusing things. I have never heard of anyone using the booster and/or MC from the TC on the XR. The SuperCoupe MC can be used (via DG's kit), but that works with the stock (late) XR4Ti booster.
Brad
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Just curious why you are so dead set on the T-Bird/'stang setup? It's entirely oversized (45mm piston vs stock Scorpio/Sierra 43mm, which is oversized for the Sierra, but adequate) which will make it almost like an on/off switch. Lots of pressure with little modulation. If not paired with an appropriately sized front the rears will not work until most of the pedal travel is used and then there will be minimal modulation until they lock.

To answer your question regarding installation/parts: go here http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/ and go to the bottom of the brakes section. That has all the info.

If you take the whole "vented vs solid" rear rotor argument seriously, ask yourself if you fit that "extreme use" category. The new Focus RS still uses Solid rear discs...

As for the booster, you could use the Scorpio one, but requires a little wiring and plumbing work.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abomb1982 »

the reason is price, availability and I was given the adapter plate like a year ago.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I've got the TC conversion, and it works well, but if I were doing it now and there were alternatives, I'd go with the more modern hardware.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Having ran the Tbird rears in the past, I would never bother again. I now have the cossie 4x4 rear brakes and they are MUCH better in feel. They also are hubcentric and fit like they were designed to..Oh wait, THEY WERE!!!

I bought some of the brackets Tim offers just in case. Itll be my second choice if parts get too hard for the cossie stuff.
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

espacef1fan wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm Having ran the Tbird rears in the past, I would never bother again. I now have the cossie 4x4 rear brakes and they are MUCH better in feel. They also are hubcentric and fit like they were designed to..Oh wait, THEY WERE!!!

I bought some of the brackets Tim offers just in case. Itll be my second choice if parts get too hard for the cossie stuff.
Aren't the Cosworth rears the same as the Scorpio rears?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:06 pm Aren't the Cosworth rears the same as the Scorpio rears?
2WD Cossie Rear calipers are indeed the same as Scorpio.
Brad
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

... but 4x4, as Espace has, are different. :)
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Vented rotors;)
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha