LA3 question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

LA3 question

Post by abomb1982 »

I have an opportunity to get an LA3 and the big vam. How much gain would I actually see over stock?
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LA3 question

Post by hbar »

My understanding is that there is little benefit to that swap with an otherwise stock setup. The improvement is to be found in a greater capacity for airflow that is only realized when you make other modifications such as increasing boost, running fully 3" exhaust, and doing the necessary supporting mods (efficient intercooler

At 16- 20 psi of boost (perhaps 175-220 hp) you should see noticeable performance gains from the bigger VAM and ECU.

But then, the larger VAM is itself limited. Once you push past 220 hp or so and need to upgrade the fuel pump and get bigger injectors (among other things) it's much better to switch to an aftermarket programmable EFI with MAP sensor (like the PIMP) and toss the VAM and computer.

I'm currently making these mods right now and am basing this on what I've learned from others. I expect to have first hand results when I get my XR back on the road in a couple of months.

Others may have differing opinions based on their own experience.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

IMHO, LA3 by itself isn't worth much if anything. But with an intercooler it's relevant and useful, and opens up a lot of headroom that the stock ECMs really don't offer.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Stock XR 175 HP, stock 88 Turbo Coupe 195 HP, so stock-for-stock the LA3 with big VAM would add 20 HP.

The beauty of the LA3 (to me) is that its a 16 bit processor vs stock XR 8 bit. I had an XR that put 272 HP to the wheels with an LA3 (with a piggyback chip for bigger injectors) and a big VAM.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

The 190hp '87/'88 TurboCoupes were intercooled... that's where the power came from. :) You're not gonna see any useful increase with just the ECM. Drivability and probably emissions? Sure. But not power.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My butt dyno says the swap is well worth it. Last year I installed an 8UA and big VAM in my otherwise stock automatic (cold air intake only) including adding the Air Charge Temp sensor in the upper intake. Performance difference is yuuuuge; the ACT difference during cool/cold weather is eye if not also butt opening (those who don't install an ACT leave a lot of performance enhancement on the workbench).

My other XR has a PE ECU-which truly leaps forward when asked to. Both swaps are well worth the minor cost and effort.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am My butt dyno says the swap is well worth it. Last year I installed an 8UA and big VAM in my otherwise stock automatic (cold air intake only) including adding the Air Charge Temp sensor in the upper intake. Performance difference is yuuuuge; the ACT difference during cool/cold weather is eye if not also butt opening (those who don't install an ACT leave a lot of performance enhancement on the workbench).

My other XR has a PE ECU-which truly leaps forward when asked to. Both swaps are well worth the minor cost and effort.
Intercooling, with each car? I know the PE definitely needs it.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

No intercooler on the 8UA car.

YMMV
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

I did an LA3 years ago w/ Big VAM, ACT & MP IC, full 3", CAI, on a slightly modded head/block= Great improvement on the butt dyno;
Then I swapped to a PE and that= DAMN!

John Brennan wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am My butt dyno says the swap is well worth it. Last year I installed an 8UA and big VAM in my otherwise stock automatic (cold air intake only) including adding the Air Charge Temp sensor in the upper intake. Performance difference is yuuuuge; the ACT difference during cool/cold weather is eye if not also butt opening (those who don't install an ACT leave a lot of performance enhancement on the workbench).

Intercooling, with each car? I know the PE definitely needs it.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abomb1982 »

will buying a PE ecu allow me to run higher boost without going lean?
I ask because I was thinking the other day that I modded a bunch of things on my car and turned the boost up to 20 psi but have know clue if that is save running the stock ecu.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

will buying a PE ecu allow me to run higher boost without going lean?
No, the EEC has no way of knowing what boost you are running. If you are not using a wideband sensor to monitor your air fuel ratio, you will break expensive stuff.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

A qualification I recall Dave Planakis noting to Don's point above is that the PE does run "pig rich" under load, to cool valves e.g., more than the PF/PK series and probably the LA series also.

YMMV
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

YMMV
Second this, more aggressive maps for sure. Feels more lively and boost comes on quicker. Not just that peak hp number but all over the place is better. Be sure to play with base timing, also some performance to be had there.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I think they all go pig rich under load. On my stock 89 way back, I did have a WB installed because I could. Once it went into boost the A/F went to roughly 9:1 I believe, some ridiculous number.

Regarding ECU swap to the LA3/8UA types, I've read that the benefit is the 16MHz clock speed among other things improves the performance. As mentioned it also gives more "headroom" for modifications.