Anyone who has done a t5 swap

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone who has done a t5 swap

Post by abomb1982 »

I finished my swap a few days ago and have noticed that the trans is a little lower on the left and like an inch closer to the driver seat then passenger. Is that normal?
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Anyone who has done a t5 swap

Post by abomb1982 »

or knows where pictures are to look for myself

thanks
markley007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markley007 »

I dont think that is normal . Can you post some detailed picture ? Also what trans mount bushing are you using and how are your motor mounts ? Bad motor mounts would possibly cause a lean but the motor would be leaning as well .
1986 Merkur Xr4ti
mopman93
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mopman93 »

The body mounts on the car that the bracket bolts to are not in plane. One side is lower than the other. A stock Merkur bracket takes up this difference. Some aftermarket brackets don’t account for the difference in the body. You may have to shim your bracket/ mount or both.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

IIRC the Mustang T5 has some tilt to it. 5 degrees comes to mind.
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abomb1982 »

what about in not being centered from right to left?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Yes, the T-5 tilts to the left more than the T-9. I recall struggling with this a bit the first time I installed a T-5 - it just seemed like it wasn't meant to go in there. Ultimately I just let it go where it wanted to go, shimming the transmission X-member to get the angles right. Then check right to left run-out to make sure the engine/transmission in aligned with the differential.
Brad
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

My second XR had a T5 swap when I bought it and can confirm that it orients more to the left side. Once I got used to it I preferred it because other than the shifter feeling better, 5th took less reaching than it does on the T9 for my driving position (seat all the way back with a slight lean backwards).

If it bothers you, you could always get/make a shifter that leans to the right a bit.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
kiwimanz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwimanz »

I just did a T5 swap, yes you have to modify the opening in the top of the tunnel and there is a left tilt.
I purchased the support bracket from Russ at Rapido. It's beefy as hell but that and a urethane mount worked great.
One piece drive shaft too

Linz
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

I put the shifter handle on the right side of the shifter rather than the typical left side as installed in a Mustang. Helps center it in the console.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx