Electrical Issue

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Electrical Issue

Post by merk23literturbo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:59 pm

I was testing to find out what the battery draw was and now have a couple circuits that have no power. In the fuse box I have no power to 1-2-3-4-5-6-10-14-15-16-17-18-19. I have a spare harness and fuse box so i can see that these circuits are powered together in groups. So before I take the dash out to find the problem, does anyone see a pattern that will lead me to the right connector or ground that is the problem? The fusible link doesn't look blown/expanded insulation. I removed and reinstalled all the relays while I was testing for the battery draw.

I don't know if this caused anything but my multi meter was set to amps and I accidentally connected it from ground to the back of the alternator. I was trying to measure volts but hadn't changed the meter settings. It made some nice sparks.

Thanks in advance.
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Electrical Issue

Post by jkxr4ti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Sounds like it could be fuse link B. I think that might be the one you just replaced a while back. Not sure if the meter would have allowed enough current to open that link. Normally they are fused on the amp terminals at around the max current value +30%. Start by measuring continuity/ohms between the alternator ring terminal/charge post and the fusible link at the starter solenoid.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI