Best Upgrade I've made re 30 Year Old Rubber: Rapido Gel-filled Motor Mounts

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Best Upgrade I've made re 30 Year Old Rubber: Rapido Gel-filled Motor Mounts

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Call Russ Harness at Rapido Group; he sells both types (IIRC) and will give his view on your question.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Best Upgrade I've made re 30 Year Old Rubber: Rapido Gel-filled Motor Mounts

Post by John Brennan »

zxr250cc wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 pm Hi all,

Is this better at first then doing the differential mount?

Cheers.
That would depend completely on the relative shape of them both. Frankly, on most of these cars, odds are the motor mounts are in maybe slightly better shape than the diff mount. But if they both need replacement, you'd best get on with it.
Also, when considering diff mounts, be sure to include this one:
http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti ... index.html
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi,

If that link is for the poly based diff mount it is on my wish list for parts, right after the radiator and ahead of struts. Working on a budget sucks... sigh. I am at work in a network that filters results so I can't follow that link with this computer.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

What differences do you notice Ed? These are the only mounts offered for the XR now since Chucks mounts are no longer made. I think Russ carries solid ones too
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Elimination of vibrations. Yes, Russ also has solid mounts for less $. I asked him about them; he said he found them buzzy (I had installed some hard rubber mounts-manufacturer unknown to me-earlier and also found them buzzy as heck. I removed those and reinstalled the ones that were on the car from the factory--which showed no outward signs of any kind that they were faulty.)

Several years ago I installed an ATK professionally rebuilt long block, using the original mounts. From that point on, at certain rpms, vibrations emanated from different areas into the cabin. I spent A LOT of time and effort looking for the source(s) and checking clearances, adding rubber insulation between suspect engine parts and the body, frame, firewall...some of which moderated some vibrations but eventually lost effectiveness. I closely reinspected for the ultimate source(s) without success.

So with no other option I decided to buy new Rapido oil-filled mounts. They were out of stock. Russ ordered some (don't know how many). What his source eventually delivered (long wait...) were the gel filled mounts. On their arrival Russ told me they seemed stiffer than the oil-filled ones, but I decided to take them, given no alternative. Russ said if I found them unsuitable I could return them within 30 days for a full refund less postage.

On start-up after installing them most of the pesky vibrations/buzziness at some rpms was gone. After a week or more of daily driving all of that was gone. The drivetrain (auto trans mount a few years old but only 20-30K miles and an MC2 diff mount about the same) felt as taut and smooth as I assume it did right off the assembly line.

As my photo shows, visibly the original mounts seem okay. The new ones are only fractionally taller, but a substantial overall upgrade.

As always, others' issues and experiences may vary. But 30+ years on, it seems rational to think that the original mounts have to be at least somewhat if not fully tired.

YMMV
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

zxr250cc wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 pm Hi all,

Is this better at first then doing the differential mount?

Cheers.
What kind of shape are they in? If you need both, you need both. Check out your trans mount, guibo, and CSB while you're at it.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

My guibo is new from the rebuild in 2000 and sat around all that time in storage like NOS parts only not in a box. I definitely expect to change all the underneath parts as I feel the lack of a 'solid' feel when driving the car. My SVT Focus with poly bushings and new control arms and struts is much tighter feeling. I think first for me will be the rear diff mount then the motor mounts. I have been building a pile of suspension parts to swap out when I get a vacation later in the summer and can stay working on the car for a couple of days at the same time. Oh, I have tags on it now! Thanks for the help and advice.
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

zxr250cc wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 pm I definitely expect to change all the underneath parts as I feel the lack of a 'solid' feel when driving the car.
^^ Given that, first install new struts and shocks.

YMMV