Early pedal heel-toe

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Early pedal heel-toe

Post by cmouta »

Is anyone actually able to heel/toe with the early style pedals? I installed them specifically for that reason when I did my T5 swap but my(properly bled) brake pedal goes way too low to get any part of my foot over.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
deaner

Re: Early pedal heel-toe

Post by deaner »

It's not so much the spacing for me as it is the stupid bump in the tunnel right next to the throttle. When I do the roll cage, I'm cutting that out. Is it just the brake pedal is too low to get your heel over?
-Dane-

Wannabe rally driver.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Brakes are bled well? Was it fine before you went with the disc rears?
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I've always felt this problem, even before the rear disc conversion. The brake pedal is just too low when stomping on the brakes to be able to blip the throttle with the same foot. God forbid I wear boots/shoes with a wide bottom sole, those are definitely getting caught behind the gas pedal :shock: I've bled the brakes a ton since the swap then but I guess I can keep trying. Just trying to tell if its a bad design or an actual issue like needing more bleeding.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I do not have that problem on my '86... I have:

Early pedal box (obviously :)
A modified throttle cable (mine failed in a dumb way)
Late style brake booster
TBird MC (v DG's adapter)
PBR front, TBird rear calipers

My throttle and brake pedals are very much in plane, and I can pretty easily get my size 10 Vans across both of them - obviously side to side, not actual heel toe.

For me, the two variables were:

1. My throttle cable was damaged so that the pedal sat VERY low. Hard on the brakes was still not enough to reach the throttle. Modifying the cable with a spacer fixed that.

2. At some point changing calipers dramatically increased brake pedal travel - rest to engaged was too much movement, no doubt a result of more caliper displacement. The TBird MC addressed that to a reasonable degree - there is still more dead area than I'd like, but it's manageable.

The pedal arrangement isn't *great* - it's not BMW good - but it's been fine for me.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

thesameguy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm I do not have that problem on my '86... I have:

Early pedal box (obviously :)
A modified throttle cable (mine failed in a dumb way)
Late style brake booster
TBird MC (v DG's adapter)
PBR front, TBird rear calipers

My throttle and brake pedals are very much in plane, and I can pretty easily get my size 10 Vans across both of them - obviously side to side, not actual heel toe.

For me, the two variables were:

1. My throttle cable was damaged so that the pedal sat VERY low. Hard on the brakes was still not enough to reach the throttle. Modifying the cable with a spacer fixed that.

2. At some point changing calipers dramatically increased brake pedal travel - rest to engaged was too much movement, no doubt a result of more caliper displacement. The TBird MC addressed that to a reasonable degree - there is still more dead area than I'd like, but it's manageable.

The pedal arrangement isn't *great* - it's not BMW good - but it's been fine for me.
Interesting to note my cable had also stretched by the time I bought the car and I had to space the cable bracket at the TB.

On your point #2, likely a result of the bigger pistons on the PBRs like you mentioned.