Clutch Adjustment

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Clutch Adjustment

Post by JimG »

How do you all have your clutch set to? I have the DG adjuster. new clutch, pp and t-5.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Clutch Adjustment

Post by cmouta »

Not too sure on that one Jim. I'd say mine is set at about 40-50% pedal travel from the floor. I didn't install it but I never really understood how it does both adjustment of cable slack AND pedal travel adjustment. To me, I feel like its just stretching the cable until you are satisfied with the pedal position. I think I need to stare at my bicycle brakes for a while. Anyone care to chime in on its operation? The key ideas web site is down but an archive can be accessed on the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171008195 ... juster.htm
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Clutch Adjustment

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I also just SWAG'd it and aimed for an engagement point about mid-way of the pedal travel. In my case, that meant that I used up most of the adjustment range on the DG adjuster. This will vary depending on which cable you're using and how you fit it to the firewall. I'm using a Mustang cable with a modified firewall fitting, which functionally makes the cable longer.
Brad