V Belt Spacing on 3 Groove Pulleys

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

V Belt Spacing on 3 Groove Pulleys

Post by hEaT »

Currently running a 3 groove crank and alternator relocated to the AC position and no PS. This setup only lets me run a single belt on the middle groove as it'll hit my bracket and more importantly, the timing pointer.

Had the smart idea to get a 3 groove water pump pulley, space the alternator further outboard, and run belts on the two outer grooves (i.e., the second main belt groove and the former AC belt groove). Sadly...the spacing between the first two belts is not the same as the spacing between the second and third so that means the belts won't line up with the grooves on the alternator pulley.

Total long shot...but are there alternator pulleys out there (Ford 3G) that I can find that would have the odd belt spacing of using the 2nd and 3rd groove on the crank and water pump? I'm currently using the stock 2G alt pulley spaced a bit off the case.

Thanks
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Re: V Belt Spacing on 3 Groove Pulleys

Post by hEaT »

Jeez this forum is absolutely dead. Sad to see :(
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

hEaT wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am Jeez this forum is absolutely dead. Sad to see :(
Or maybe no one knows the answer.

Perhaps you can find a Pinto alt. bracket which will allow you to put it back on the driver's side. Just about everything else from the factory has power steering. I have used a three-groove belt system with a crank-driven A/C compressor and a three-groove water pump pulley (PO had installed), but other than the one longer belt, to cover all three, it was all factory. Accessory drives are one place I like to stick with factory parts. I like the serpentine belt setups, but they all use PS, too.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

It's a lot of specifics creating a scenario unlikely to have been seen before - I'm kinda not surprised nobody has the answer.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Wasn't so much my post specifically, but overall nothing new really :(

The Pinto idea sounds like a cool one to explore John. I need to figure out which year since I've seen passenger side brackets too (puts it where my alt is now). The comment you made about the crank driven AC is exactly what I was trying to do (grabbed a factory 3 groove water pump pulley to match my 3 groove crank), but the OEM alternator pulley didn't play nicely with how the grooves are spaced with regard to the 3 groove pulleys.

My setup is what Mike sells, before Mike sold it. I think where I have my turnbuckle mounted is what causes part of the issue. No power steering is what gives me the timing pointer issue.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

OIC.

That's because all the problems have been solved?

;)
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

thesameguy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pm OIC.

That's because all the problems have been solved?

;)
Or everyone gave up except the sick few of us haha
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Does this help at all? looks like it sources parts from "Pinto Engined Granada or Transit parts:"

http://capriwiki.com/index.php?title=Po ... edirect=no

hmm I guess thats all euro stuff. Did the european pinto/granada get a 2.0 lima?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Thanks Chris, it does.

I wonder with that setup, with power steering gone, does the belt clear the bracket...That's where I see clearance issues on my current setup and I'm not keen on spacing the crank and water pump pulleys out to clear.

I found this which also looks promising. I could run the outer belt it looks...

EDIT:
And here's the thread. Brad FTW
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12217
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

If you're looking to convert, Im using that 2 belt WP serpentine pulley and I'm about to swap it out for a single and I have that ranger bracket and alternator, collecting dust.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!