It's starting!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

It's starting!

Post by thesameguy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Spent the last few days in San Jose. I was gonna take the 9-3 Aero but decided to get some road time in the XR4Ti instead. My accommodation was a nice hotel right in the middle of downtown. The only parking option was a $50/night valet so I rolled up into the valet station and asked if anyone could drive a manual. Crickets! "Some of us can, but nobody is here right now." We agreed they'd just leave the car out front.

Next morning when I came downstairs the XR was right where I left it, next to a Mercedes SL65 AMG, a brand new Maserati Levante V8, a Tesla P85D, and some recent 911. LOOKING GOOD. As I was throwing my stuff into the passenger seat some random 20-something off the street came up to ask about it - how old was it, who makes it, is it fast? The morning valet came over and joined the conversation - he was the guy that could drive a manual. Not that long ago nobody cared about oddball '80s cars... but nobody under 30 knows what any of them are... the curiosity is setting in!

When I drove away I couldn't help but check behind me to see she'd spilled onto the ground. NOPE. New turbo, new power steering pump - no leaks. It was all very professional. :D

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Re: It's starting!

Post by cmouta » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:44 pm

awesome! It's such a geeky feeling of gratification when people want to talk to me about my XR. I always play the "what would I replace this with" game in my head and I can't think of much that gives you the "what the heck is this thing" looks/convo for equal money.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

My driveway is kinda pimped out with obscurity... and if it wasn't one of these it'd probably be a 190E 2.3-16. :) I do love my oddball '80s cars. :)

zxr250cc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zxr250cc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 pm

When mine was about three months old I went to Las Vegas from Dallas to the CES electronics show. The clear coat on these cars was very soft as new and it was easy to scratch. I went through a brush wash car wash prior to arriving at my hotel. The car had tiny little scratch marks all over the finish as if it was a custom paint job or something. The valet at the hotel asked me where I had that treatment for the car. !! I told him at a car wash...

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
1999 Taurus SE 24v DOHC Spruce Green
2004 SVT ZX5 Focus EAP Screaming Yellow

JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm

"pimped out with obscurity" you have a way with words!
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:21 am

Your driveway looks like a mini RADWOOD show :cheers

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/ra ... cal-notion

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 pm

yeah, very cool driveway! I always liked the idea of a fiero with 3800SC swap or a 900 Turbo SPG but I only have so much driveway space.

My wife and I just picked up a very rough 1/400 1974 VW Thing "Acapulco Edition" for us to restore "together." We'll see how that works out but I'm hoping it will pay out like this one some day(I can dream can't I?)

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1974- ... gen-thing/

It does look like prices are on the rise for these but I definitely have a ton of work ahead of me. Sorry XR :(
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti